Hi Guys! Back for the summer. Got a belated NGD too...

Mark Wein

Howdy all. Sorry I've been missing in action but once my school semester started in earnest I was kind of overwhelmed and had to pull back on the social media a bit. I did end up buying a neat guitar a couple of months ago though. This was my NGD post when I got it.

So having a vintage guitar store so close to my house has its ups and downs. On the up side, the owner is really cool, appreciates the traffic I've sent his way via students and social media and loves to trade when I don't have ready cash. Today I brought in a box full of leftover Premier Music inventory (strings, picks, straps and other accessories junk) that I would never be able to sell and he said he could use in his store. I went with my buddy Martin and after a while of playing a ton of nice guitars and a cool little Silvertone 1481 amp that I was thinking of picking up I played this 1961 Epiphone Century:

17545415_10155230533267425_6867811841751018778_o.jpg?oh=76c7233d19e13d9694fd9cfb2130c39b&oe=5992A87C

The guitar has new Ping tuners on it, an obviously new replacement nut and an obvious neck reset but it plays and sounds awesome. To cover the rest of the deal I'm bringing him my old Marshall Jubilee 4x12 which hasn't been used onstage since 1998 and is so beat up it has no real vintage value. At this point in time I'd rather have the guitar and I've been getting rid of all of the gear I'm not actually using. Eventually I might find a used Avatar 2x12 for my Silvertone head but I don't need it anytime soon.

• Members

That's cool. I think I'd rather plunk down some cash for that vintage piece than one of their new RIs. It just seems to make a bit more sense, i.e. vintage style + actual vintage = vintage. :-)

What were they asking for that piece on a cash basis? Just curious.

I'd like to hear a clip.

That's cool. I think I'd rather plunk down some cash for that vintage piece than one of their new RIs. It just seems to make a bit more sense, i.e. vintage style + actual vintage = vintage. :-)

What were they asking for that piece on a cash basis? Just curious.

I'd like to hear a clip.

Well, I didn't realize at the time that one of my students had the "Inspired by the 1966 Century" model that they sell now but when I shot them out it was a pretty massive difference. The store was asking $850 for it and then offered it to me for $600 because of my relationship with them. Then we did the straight trade across. Without the neck reset and the other changes the guitar would be going for between $1500 and $2500 on Reverb.com. It's a neat guitar and I used it a bunch in school for days where I needed to practice but not perform in an ensemble. It sounds cool through my amps but did not get along with the roached-out reissue twin I have to play through there.

Here is a short clip of it acoustically that I shot with my phone: https://www.facebook.com/mwein/videos/vb.578127424/10155232476177425/?type=3&theater

Great to see you Mark' date=' and congrats on the Century - it's beautiful! :philthumb:[/quote']

Thanks Phil!

Who knew that getting a Jazz Performance degree while still earning a living teaching and gigging and having a wife and two small children would be so time consuming?

• Members

Thanks Phil!

Who knew that getting a Jazz Performance degree while still earning a living teaching and gigging and having a wife and two small children would be so time consuming?

Nice guitar

yeah getting out of going to work, can be a lot of work. Just kidding. Enjoy.

• Members

Wow! that's a nice piece. Love the look of it to. Seems like all the S hole guitars have that certain mid range thing going on. How's the P 90 ? That should warm things up nicely through a decent amp. I wish you were local man, I'd like to learn some of that jazz stuff to influence my blues playing a little. I'm starting to hear some of it in my head and I think that's the first place to get it before I can bring some of it out to my fingers and so on.

Looks like another Happy camper new guitar day. congratulations . Looking forward to hearing you play some more. Thanks for posting.

• Moderators

Nice one Mark, I bought my son the Inspired by 66 RI, as he's a huge James bay fan, and I have the a 'players' 1958 ES-125T with new wiring pots and a SD Antiquity neck pickup, but I've recently had the neck off so I can put a new fretboard on it, due to the fact that as the frets wore, somebody decided that subtly scalloping the wood on with side of the fret would be a better idea than a fret job :)

The configuration is just awesome, great weight and you can just drag it round and play it plugged in or acoustically

Happy NGD

Wow! that's a nice piece. Love the look of it to. Seems like all the S hole guitars have that certain mid range thing going on. How's the P 90 ? That should warm things up nicely through a decent amp. I wish you were local man, I'd like to learn some of that jazz stuff to influence my blues playing a little. I'm starting to hear some of it in my head and I think that's the first place to get it before I can bring some of it out to my fingers and so on.

Looks like another Happy camper new guitar day. congratulations . Looking forward to hearing you play some more. Thanks for posting.

Thanks!

It's definitely a warmer or browner sounding p90. I should make a video of it through an amp.

And I do teach via skype if you're looking to expand your horizons that way :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived