power chord tab for chuck berry's "Rock and Roll Music"

rickroads

• Members

Hi all,

Hope all is well. I am looking to download the power chord tab version to Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music". I believe the Beatles did this song using Power chords. I can't see to find a version on the Internet. Any links to tab sheet for this song that contains the "power chord" version of this song will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Rick Roads.

• Members

When you are saying "Power chord", do you mean the chords without a 3rd in them? It's REAL easy to make any major or minor chord a power chord. Bar a G major. Now only play the low 3 strings. There's your power chord. (G,D,G)

• Members

I'm confused too. Don't most of his songs just use the root and 5th anyway? Isn't that a power chord?

I recommend listening and figuring it out yourself. There's usually not a lot of complexity once you learn a few key riffs and you'll remember it better.

• Members
could you explain exactly what you mean when you say 'power chord'? Because we are at a complete loss to understand what you are trying to get...an 'open chord' is not a 'power chord' in the common vernacular...

I have no clue but if you tuned the guitar to Open G:

D

B

G

D

G

D

and played only the four lowest strings, wouldn't that be sorta an ''open power chord''? Bear with me because it's the only thing I can think of that even remotely fits. I've read that Keith Richards was fascinated by Open G but AFAIK Chuck Berry used Standard.

• Members

Close Deep, but not quite. Look at a bar chord, say G Maj at the third fret, using the E maj form.. As you strum down, the notes you hit are G,D,G,B,D,G. You have the 1st, 5th, octave, Maj3rd, 5th, octave. Remove the major third from the strum, say the low 3 strings, you have a Power Chord. Neither maj nor minor. Sorta the perfect idiot chord. Think metal, and there you have it.

• Members

Hi all,

OK, I had to get my thoughts together and if I am wrong, you can straighten me out.

If we look at power chord in tabular form

A 2

E 0

where the low E string is open and the A string is pressed on the 2nd fret, would give me an open E power chord.

Next,

D 2

A 0

Where the A string is open and the D string is pressed on the 2nd fret, would give me an open A power chord

Next,

G 2

D 0

Whre the D string is open and the G string is pressed on the 2nd fret would give me an open D power chord

OK, my terminology might be off, but in this case you still have your "root" and a "fifth" as in post.

Hope I am making sense.

Rick

• Members

I usually refer to those as a 5th, but I get what you mean.

One thing with the Beatles is that there are usually at least 2 guitars playing really well arranged interlocking parts, so it can be a bit of an approximation to do it with one. Have a close listen with good headphones if you haven't already.

• Members

I'm aware of what a ''power chord'' is, thanks. I sometimes see them written as, for example, G5, indicating the chord has only a root and 5th. The OP specified an ''open power chord,'' which frankly I'd never heard of, and I went from there, i.e., a power chord based on an open tuning. (It seemed like a reasonable guess at the time, anyway.) Playing the lowest four strings in Open G would produce what I thought might be the desired result, i.e., the root twice and the 5th twice, which makes a ''power chord,'' although inverted with the 5th on the ''bottom.'' Now that the OP has clarified what he wants, it's clear we're not talking about ''open'' chords at all.

Archived