1 watt amp that caught my eye

mistersully

• Members

I guess it's all in what you want and how bad you want it I like it feeding the Showman amp and it would help me out playing amps at home that are just too big to crank. But not enough to justify the cost

• Members

The problem is that a lot of what makes an amp sound great is..... volume..... and a good speaker.

When a great speaker is pushing some air, that's when they sound their best. Can't be replicated at low volume.

You can get some great little amps, but they never really get close. IMO, you need at least 10 to 15w and a 12" speaker.

I've owned low wattage amps too, Orange AD5, epi valve junior, but it doesn't get close. The AD5 actually was the best I've tried / owned . I regret selling it, but wasn't using it next to the AD15, even for quiet home practice.

• Members

I've used a lot of small amps (and sometimes bigger ones) at low volume, and often the answer is compression to replicate what happens when you're pushing valves and speakers, in order for them to sound good, followed by the right speakers. Ironically I'm using one of the highest wattage amps I own most of the time now: a Pignose G40V through an Emi Ragin Cajun, but it behaves really well at low volume with the treble at zero & presence backed off + enough gain to make it just a little driven with humbuckers.

• Members

I also use reasonably high wattage amps for home practice. 15w, 30w and 50w valve amps. I'm lucky they have fantastic master volume, and sound really good.

I've also acquired the jet city jettuanator in a trade a while back, thinking I'd sell it, but that attenuator is fantastic. Super flexible, works with 4, 8 or 16ohms, and lets you attenuate however much you want, not a fixed 3, 6, 9 or 12db like most attenuator on the market.

A really great piece of kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived