Skull again

• Members

I don't understand the fascination with skulls. From pirates to bikers to punk rock skateboarders it seems like skulls are everywhere. I spent 35 years on a search and rescue team, unfortunately I've been involved in a fair number of recoveries and the simple fact is, dead people aren't cool. OK, sorry end of rant.

Had another customer request a skull inlay. Nice little guitar, had the manufacturers name on the headstock (decal), he asked me to remove it and do an inlay. Had to sand the OEM paint all the way off (its some sort of modern poly that I can't touch up), refinished in lacquer

IMG_3734_zpsdo0yad7i.jpg

He also had me install some locking tuners that automatically cut the strings off - OK I guess. And the guitar came with a compensated nut - honestly my first experience with them (I've read a lot about them but never really deal with one).

edit to add, I will not do an inlay that offends me, but skulls don't offend me. When I did the other guitar the skulls were an obvious fit for the owner and his whole lifestyle, but this one is just sort of weird. The owner is a nice middle aged middle class "normal" looking guy - I could see him wanting an eagle or wolf or something like that.

• Members
I don't understand the fascination with skulls. From pirates to bikers to punk rock skateboarders it seems like skulls are everywhere. I spent 35 years on a search and rescue team' date=' unfortunately I've been involved in a fair number of recoveries and the simple fact is, dead people aren't cool. OK, sorry end of rant. [/quote']

You're not alone. I don't get it either. I also own two Harley Davidson motorcycles, and the amount of "skull" decorated gear they sell pretty much tops the charts. I've yet to buy anything that I can recall with a skull design. To me they represent the desiccated hollow shell of end of life. But I guess if folks like them, one could say they are embracing their mortality. Maybe.

[video=youtube;f2lCDQ8j9bE]

smiley-wink

• Members

that inlay does look tasty...

i like bling if it fits the guitar and isn't too much, think i like a martin D41 but the D45 is too much....

about skulls, i couldn't care less, not a fan but they also do not look weird to me....

Here's a cover of an album that I worked on - it was painted by another friend of mine. You'll probably hate it, but I thought it was kind of cool - it certainly fits the band and the album IMO:

FirmeEnglish.jpg

Personally, I'm not into nor do I "get" the whole skull thing either, but it's popular imagery in Ska and Ska-Punk, especially for a band with that particular name...

• Members
Great job as usual. That turned out really well. What's your impression of the self-trimming tuners? I've seen them but none of my guitars have them.

They seem to work fine. I had an acoustic with cheap locking tuners that seemed prone to breaking strings where they lock, these appear to clamp them better. They are a little weird, there is only about a third of a wrap on the post and it cuts it completely clean, there is no sharp end sticking out. You stick the string in, tighten the clamp, start tuning and meet a fair amount of resistance, then a little "pop" and they continue to turn pretty freely. You could get more of a wrap but I was just following directions when I strung it up.

They did not cover the old holes from the Grover style tuners on the back, I filled them but couldn't match the redish orange color so I just left them. Otherwise they seem fine - these were from D'Addario, no idea of the cost.

• Members

I'll add a third comment here - I have never worked with a compensated nut and following a discussion by someone whose 12 string seemed out of tune on the first five frets I played around a bit with this. The way the owner had it compensated was that with each string in tune the first five or six frets were slightly sharp, then pretty natural at the 6th or 7th, then increasingly flat up to 12. The way he had the intonation set all strings were about 3-5 cents flat at 12, then increasingly flat on up the board.

I don't think that is necessarily bad. You can always sharpen a note slightly as you fret it in the upper positions and cowboy chords didn't seem all that bad even tho the individual notes were slightly sharp. I don't know how much the compensated nut contributes to this, I want to play with it some more.

btw - the nut itself was pretty poorly made. It was slightly too narrow for the board, the slots were very deep and the corner at the high E string was sharp - I kept running into it when I played in the first position. It is obviously some sort of molded material - micarta or "Tusq" or something similar. Nut action was OK and finish looked cheap - in general I would not be proud of it.

• Members

Speaking of bone heads... How about an inlay of pelvis bones on headstock? People say "What is that?" and you reply nonchalantly "It's my guitar, very hip".... drum roll and cymbal crash.

Archived