Tremolo-no binding issue

• Members

How do I go about getting my tremolo-no into proper position so that it's not binding metal against metal inside the shaft?

I don't want to mess with lubing the tailpiece/receiver cause I figure the thumb screws won't hold and I'll have a slipping problem when in dive only or hardtail mode.

I thought for a second I could use the Allen screws instead to get it to hold but quickly realized I'd probably have to tighten them down too much due to the lubrication factor and I'll gouge the top of the tailpiece.

The tremolo-no website has directions just like the packaging it came in, but it doesn't go into detail about how to utilize those spacers that are included with the extra thumb screw and Allen screws.

I can hear/feel the metal against metal when I use the trem so I know it's not the knife edges. I pretty much have been keeping the Floyd locked down cause I don't wanna mess anything up by having it in improper position.

If I can get away with not having to take it to a guitar tech that'd be nice, so if anyone can fill me in on a few steps on getting that in place correctly that would be really cool. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Alix 🤘

PRS Torero

Shecter C-1 Elite

Krank Rev 1 100watt head

Krank 4x12 pine cab

Line6 Spider II w/FBV Express

Boss, Digitech, Vox, Fulltone and ISP Pedal chain

Lava and Monster cables

DR strings

Fruit of the loom underwear

• Members

It sounds as if the shaft is rubbing against the thumb screws. Unscrew the thumbs, and try it. If it's gone, you know the issue. If it remains, it might be the pin that goes into the trem block may not be properly seated. But it's been 6 or 7 years since I used one, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

• Members

The shims are for adjusting how far the pin fits down into the trem block. If you had a shorter block the shims let you raise the arm and level it.

If you have binding in the shaft It might be because of the arms angle, but I haven't used one of them so I'm only guessing here. .

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Thanks guys. So that's where those shims go, thank you. I don't need em, it's level.

Turns out it was a factory issue. The tremolo-no out of the packaging isn't lubricated at all, also the inside of the shaft is really coarse.

Obviously AllParts doesn't address this when making the part so, I got some 800 grit sandpaper, rolled up a piece the size of a cigarette and went to town..

Fixed. The tail piece was binding against the shaft.

50 cent fix🤘

Archived