I'm thinking of getting into aftermarket pickups

mbengs1

upgrade my ibanez's stockpickups which are ok. dimarzio or seymour duncan? what are the differences between the two brands?

Hmm... let's see...

They have different names. :idea: One is one word with eight letters, the other two words with thirteen.

They're owned by different people.

One is based in Santa Barbara on the west coast, the other is based in New York, on the east coast.

There's more... shall I continue?

• Members

They're both well known and well respected brands with a long history. And both make a large variety of pickups! I'd be happy with pickups from either company. What you need to figure out is where your stock pickups aren't satisfactory, and choose the appropriate model from their offerings. From what I can remember, you own some pretty nice guitars...the stock pickups in an Ibanez JEM or a Gibson Les Paul are pretty darn good, so I wouldn't bother replacing the stock pickups in those guitars unless you're looking to make a major change in their tone. Both companies sell a number or "signature" models.

...and the ToneQuest® continues. Good luck Mister Bengs.

• Members

If you have a Gibson Custom, you agreed to a non-modification contract which stipulates you aren't legally allowed to change your guitar. Same for the JEM. You're actually leasing their instruments. That's why you have to pay $299 for Obi Wan Kenobi pickups that are authorized by Gibson and Ibanez.

That's why you have to pay $299 for Obi Wan Kenobi pickups that are authorized by Gibson and Ibanez.

And trust me, finding pickups that are authorized by both Gibson AND Ibanez is very, very hard to do! But I hear those Obi Wan pickups have unobtanium magnets and that the (magnetic) force will be with you always if you have a set installed. :D

• Members

The Obi Wan's are nice, but I recommend the Yoda set. Uber rare Alderaan fusion heated magnets, kyber crystal in stead of the flux capacitors, and hand/paw wound by albino Wookies. Hotter than Tatooine during summer, but none of that Hoth like lice pick tones. Only issues are delivery times. they CLAIM less then 12 parsecs but.....:idk:

• Members
The Obi Wan's are nice, but I recommend the Yoda set. Uber rare Alderaan fusion heated magnets, kyber crystal in stead of the flux capacitors, and hand/paw wound by albino Wookies. Hotter than Tatooine during summer, but none of that Hoth like lice pick tones. Only issues are delivery times. they CLAIM less then 12 parsecs but.....:idk:

Here's your problem.

par·sec/ˈpärsek/ noun

1. a unit of distance used in astronomy, equal to about 3.26 light years (3.086 × 1013 kilometers). One parsec corresponds to the distance at which the mean radius of the earth's orbit subtends an angle of one second of arc.

There's also strong evidence there is slave Ewok labor involved. THEY have been duped into service under the pretense of funding the revolution. Nasty business.

• Members
If you have a Gibson Custom, you agreed to a non-modification contract which stipulates you aren't legally allowed to change your guitar. Same for the JEM. You're actually leasing their instruments. That's why you have to pay $299 for Obi Wan Kenobi pickups that are authorized by Gibson and Ibanez.

Yeah - that's quite a pickup line. :D

Funny I am not. Go jam I shall.

• Members

i won't change the pickups of my les paul and jem for now. its my S, the bridge pickup is quite thin sounding. i thought it can use a replacement. i can't choose but the duncan custom 5 is one of my favorite sounding pickups. from dimarzio it's the Mo' joe.

• Members
i won't change the pickups of my les paul and jem for now. its my S, the bridge pickup is quite thin sounding. i thought it can use a replacement. i can't choose but the duncan custom 5 is one of my favorite sounding pickups. from dimarzio it's the Mo' joe.

In the Philippines, it's illegal to own Dimarzio pickups because Qui Gon Jinn died for your sins.

Archived