Splitting Humbucker Dimarzio DP214

catscurlyear

• Members

Hi there ,i have a couple of humbuckers installed in this guitar ,i can split them both with push pull coil tap knobs ,the bridge pickup is full at 9.60 k the neck is 8k ,however when i split them, the bridge pickup goes down to 2.86k and the neck goes down to 2k ,usualy i have experienced pickups just being half the number when splitting them . ta

• Members

ta for your reply ,by parallel do you mean pickup selector in the middle position(both pickups on) , e.g i put the pickup selector at bridge position and then split the humbucker, the only pickup on at this point is the bridge pickup.

• Moderators

Quite a few humbuckers are wound asymetrically, so one coil on say a 9k pickup will be wound to 3k and one to 6k, with the idea that the 6k coil is the the one that outputs when split. To me it sounds like the wrong coil is splitting.

What pickups are we talking and do we have 4 conductor hookup wire.

• Members
That sounds odd - are they going parallel' date=' rather than splitting?[/quote']

yeah after a bit of research i found this and the spec confirms what you said http://www.tmrzoo.com/2015/68221/guitar-gear-review-dimarzio-dp214-virtual-hot-paf-humbucker . whats the point or benefits of switching a humbucker to parallel, is it just a thinner sound ?

• Members

thanks Ancient Mariner for the help ,i should have noticed that there was no hum when i switched on the tap. would you say the signal is any weaker in parallel than a normal tap where one coil is switched off,i haven`t had the chance to experiment yet.thanks

Archived