Anybody other than "cork sniffers" get into this guy?

Cyborg

• Members

A friend of mine was egging me on today that "I must check him out". Who? Robben Ford.

I checked out a couple of his YouTube vids and blah. He goes on about the most basic elements of playing blues guitar like playing a minor 3rd, major 7th, raised 5th, sus2, sus4 and ° or + for dim or augmented - this is all music 101.

Anyways, it seems he travels around somewhat frequently with this other guy Larry Carlton. Refund please!

I guess coming from an old school '80s/'90s guitarist hooked on Rush, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Alcatraz and Robin Trower, etc. the old standards I,IV V don't turn me on anymore.

• Members

I never thought Ford was an exceptional player so much as the guy other players talk about when it comes to tone and soulful playing. I'm so far removed from that world now.

Larry Carlton, on the other hand, is a brilliant session man who played some of my favorite Steely Dan solos. I don't follow his solo stuff, but he contributed a lot to great albums in the seventies and eighties.

• Members
A friend of mine was egging me on today that "I must check him out". Who? Robben Ford...

... Anyways, it seems he travels around somewhat frequently with this other guy Larry Carlton. Refund please! ...

To each his own.

Robben Ford is one of my favourite players.

The audio quality is a bit poor on this but it might give you a different perspective on his guitar playing...

[video=youtube;Q2CTeY8LHqA]

And here's a nice bit from Larry Carlton...

[video=youtube;AnZjhc3005k]

Cork+Sniff.gif

• Members

Grant, You want ugly guitar face? Look at Gary Moore!

And I agree about Trower to a point, but you want over rated? Slash is first on my list, followed closely by Jack White, and whoever is on the cover of Guitar Player this month.

• Members
What's amazing to me is how many people really don't seem to understand the point of music.

This is true. Music was originally created by God to bring praise and glory to his name. Not to feed some kind of ego trip but as a way to reveal his excellence to us.. Any other use is secondary or even counterfeit

A friend of mine was egging me on today that "I must check him out". Who? Robben Ford.

I checked out a couple of his YouTube vids and blah. He goes on about the most basic elements of playing blues guitar like playing a minor 3rd, major 7th, raised 5th, sus2, sus4 and ° or + for dim or augmented - this is all music 101.

Anyways, it seems he travels around somewhat frequently with this other guy Larry Carlton. Refund please!

I guess coming from an old school '80s/'90s guitarist hooked on Rush, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Alcatraz and Robin Trower, etc. the old standards I,IV V don't turn me on anymore.

Yeah, Larry Carlton is all about nothing but the I, IV, V.

(Hint: You might want to dig a bit deeper. Look into Carlton's work with the Crusaders for starters. :idea::wave: )

• Members

Yeah, Larry Carlton is all about nothing but the I, IV, V.

(Hint: You might want to dig a bit deeper. Look into Carlton's work with the Crusaders for starters. :idea::wave: )

His work on "Kid Charlemagne" reeks of joy in sharp contrast to the usual expression of pain that is common in the I, IV, V world of blues guitar.

His work on "Kid Charlemagne" reeks of joy in sharp contrast to the usual expression of pain that is common in the I, IV, V world of blues guitar.

If that's not the greatest guitar solo of all time, it's most certainly in the running. :philthumb:

And he waxed it mostly on the first take too.... although parts of the middle solo are from take 2, the outro was all improv and first take stuff. Amazing!

• Members

This is true. Music was originally created by God to bring praise and glory to his name. Not to feed some kind of ego trip but as a way to reveal his excellence to us.. Any other use is secondary or even counterfeit

Well that's just crazy.

Music was created by human beings when they figured out how to use pitch, rhythm, and dynamics.

Fairy tales most certainly had nothing to do with it.

• Members

One man's "fairy tales" is another's belief core. While I may not agree with Gardo's statement, he is absolutely right for his perception of music. AND if you know anything of cultural anthropology, the first forms of music was to celebrate to the Gods a good hunt, a good harvest, or the fact they weren't eaten that day. Everyone is entitled to their own belief, NOBODY is entitled to mock it.

• Members

If that's not the greatest guitar solo of all time, it's most certainly in the running. :philthumb:

And he waxed it mostly on the first take too.... although parts of the middle solo are from take 2, the outro was all improv and first take stuff. Amazing!

My first impression of Larry Carlton was that he knows everything about the guitar but just closes his eyes and plays. I decided that I wanted to be able to do that so I spent the last forty plus years trying to get there.

My friend Pepe Danza talks about getting out of the way and letting the music play him. Sometimes I think that is what Larry Carlton does when he closes his eyes. His mastery of the instrument allows the music to flow through him unimpeded - on the first take. Thinking about it or trying too hard can actually get in the way.

My first impression of Larry Carlton was that he knows everything about the guitar but just closes his eyes and plays. I decided that I wanted to be able to do that so I spent the last forty plus years trying to get there.

My friend Pepe Danza talks about getting out of the way and letting the music play him. Sometimes I think that is what Larry Carlton does when he closes his eyes. His mastery of the instrument allows the music to flow through him unimpeded - on the first take. Thinking about it or trying too hard can actually get in the way.

I really think there's a lot to be said for that. My best songs, best mixes and best performances are often things that "just happened" without overthinking them.

• Members

I really think there's a lot to be said for that. My best songs, best mixes and best performances are often things that "just happened" without overthinking them.

I think we need to be technically proficient in order to facilitate that. The artisan in general is the physical part of the process. Some of the Haida carvers have said to me that they are just holding the tool while their hands are guided by the spirit of their ancestors.

I think we need to be technically proficient in order to facilitate that. The artisan in general is the physical part of the process. Some of the Haida carvers have said to me that they are just holding the tool while their hands are guided by the spirit of their ancestors.

It's the old "listen to everything you can, learn everything you can... and then when you play, don't think about any of it - forget it all" argument. And again, I really think there's something to that. Learn, develop the skills, listen to and learn from those who came before you and then set all of that aside and let the music flow through you - let your subconscious, your soul, your spirit (whatever you want to call it) take over and do its thing...

Archived