Tele with no neck pickup

DeepEnd

• Members

Earlier today I saw a People magazine in the break room at work and there was a pic of Brad Paisley playing a Tele with no neck pickup. Just curious but how common is that? Here's a pic of him with the same guitar:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31966200[/ATTACH]

• Members

"The
Fender Esquire
is a solid-body electric guitar manufactured by Fender, the first "Spanish" style guitar sold by Fender, debuting in 1950. Shortly after its introduction, a two-pickup version was introduced and was renamed the Broadcaster a few months later; the single pickup version retained the Esquire name. The Gretsch Company at the time marketed a drum set under the 'Broadkaster' name, and at their request, Fender dropped the Broadcaster name, eventually renaming their guitar the "Telecaster". The more versatile Broadcaster/Telecaster has since become one of Fender's most popular models with dozens of variations produced. Once the Telecaster was introduced, the Esquire became marketed as a lower-cost version. Over the following two decades, the availability of other low-cost models saw the Esquire's sales decline and the model was discontinued in 1969."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Esquire

The model has since been reissued but remains a relatively "niche" guitar.

• Members

I used to think I'd never want to have a single bridge pickup guitar, but I've accumulated 3 now, A G&L Tribute Rampage Jerry Cantrell (HB), a Gibson SG Junior and LP Junior both with a single P-90.

I have to say I particularly like the Gibson models. Something about forcing you to grab the tone knob instead of switching the neck p'up on really opened up some new sonic territory for me. Can't say as I've yet to bite on a guitar with a single single coil bridge pickup yet. The only one that tempted me was the Fender Snakehead Telecaster. I probably should have bit on that one (no pun originally intended). It was indeed engineered to get the most from that design, i.e. a good broad sounding bridge p'up with a very resonant body wood. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-custom-shop-60th-anniversary-series-snake-head-telecaster-electric-guitar Not having jumped on the good deal I was once offered on one of those, I'll doubt I'll ever want another single bridge p'up guitar again. The Gibsons filled my need to indulge ni that config. And surprisingly enough to me, the SG Junior with its vibey-er tone, is probably my fave.

Archived