Strings too thick for FR locking nut?

6Piece_McNugget

• Members

I recently bought my first 7 string guitar, and the first song I learned on it was tuned to drop G#. The strings it came with were thinner than I would like, even for standard tuning. So I bought some thicker strings (10-64s) but I can't screw the clamp down on the lucking nut on the bottom two strings, presumably because they're too thick (see attached picture). The problem is that the screw can't reach the hole in the locking nut. Has anyone had a similar problem? What is a solution? I'm thinking a longer screw would work, but I don't know if such a thing is available. Any advice is much appreciated

59bf9cc1e370795060b7ff1989fb60dc.thumb.JPG.acbe122ca881adeea73f388464e48a70.JPG

• Members

Any place mentioned above, hardware type stores, and get a longer screw. Take the old one with you so you can match it up. When I do that I take the old screw and find a nut that fits the threads and then find a longer one fits the same way. I know you can go by the size listed in the store but I'm just paranoid that way.

• Members

The strings don't look too thick, unless I'm missing g something, it honestly looks like you need a retainer to make them follow the curve of the locking nut. The strings should actually follow that curve and touch bottom in Both the front and rear slots. After installing the retainer, and adjusting it to the point this happens, your stock screws should work just fine. You should never have to rely on the screws to make the strings set into the grooves, only to lock the strings in place. But even unlocked, the nut should function as any other, and yours doesn't appear to be.

https://reverb.com/item/1113953-floy...PGPw_wcB&pla=1

Archived