So what are the *hot* cheap guitars nowadays?

• Members

I've been out of the game for a while at least as far as buying new gear to feed my habit. I've finally recognized that what I really prefer is hunting up cheap stuff that sounds and plays decent, thereby allowing me to afford to have a big pile of guitars to hoard like a dragon.

Last time I paid attention, it was all Rondo and Guitar Fetish... they still the main players as far as off-brands go? Has the rise of all the assorted solid cheap Squiers gutted the off-brand market, either used or new?

In particular I'm looking for a cheap new/used strat copy that will take an H-H pickguard without routing, though anything interesting/cheap will catch my eye. I will say I'm bummed to see the drastic rise in the old USA Peavey copies. Otherwise my choice would be pretty easy...

• Members

I think players are less about new cheap guitars and more about great deals on used gear these days. I haven't seen a specific model or brand being brought up a lot lately. It used to be all about Squier Classic Vibe Teles or whatever guitar that was sub $400 and "better than my American guitar."

• Moderators

I will put in a vote for Hardluck Kings...the west coast version of Rondo Agiles...:wave:

Also the GFS guitars are cheap and decent.

Better than my American, meh, but worth the money? Yes!

I swear by my Chinese Fender Modern Player Deluxe Thinline Tele, new they are over 4 bills, but I got mine used for under...so there is a vote for cheap used gear.

This was the bone of contention between my partner and I when we had our Chinese guitar business, he wanted to shoot for very high end, lots of inlay, fancy-schmancy, primarily acoustics; I wanted solid 'platform' guitars we could sell cheap enough to compete with Agiles, etc. He was the one going to China ordering, I was the one stateside fixing and setting up. Business folded due to lack of cash flow [he couldn't find buyers for his high end line], he got stuck with a bunch of acoustics he is still trying to unload. Me? I got a Gretsch-style holllowbody electric that I am still modifying after five years, always pursuing the next level...and a custom acoustic, so who made the mistake? I'm not the one sitting on unsold inventory five years later...he called me a while back to see if I would do a 'minor'repair and set-up on one of his ridiculously ornate acoustics he wants 2 grand for...I said sure, pay me or give me the 12 string...[i only regret not keeping the beautiful Koa 12 string I did a full set up on...he still hasn't paid me for that job].

• Members

Agree those Chinese Fender Modern Player Deluxe Thinline Tele are great little guitars. Got my bro a $180 Squier tele few years back that is quite good too. Had to go through a pile of them to find right one, but there are worse ways to spend some time.

• Members

I've assembled some great guitars that are as good as my 1980's Kramer and Jackson guitars.

Dragonfire, GFS, Tone Rider, Guitar Heads and Rock Audio have surprised me, some of their pickups are as good as Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG or any other major pickup maker.

Used is another good option, I bought some great used Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Carvin, Bare Knuckle, Bill Lawrence and EMG from eBay and Reverb, at 40% to 60% less than retail.

• Members

You can get near or same quality buys as Squires and Epiphones buying straight from China at half the price. The quality control isn't nearly as good and you may need to mod it a bit but you usually come out ahead money wise because you aren't dealing with all the middlemen who ass they're costs to turn a profit. EBay has many sellers shipping direct from the factories. Because that site is so popular they usually get higher prices for they're gear.

If you want even better pricing try the Alibaba auction site where the China manufacturers list they're products at wholesale costs. https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=electric+guitars&isGalleryList=G&viewtype=G

You have to watch out for shipping costs. Some list the instrument low cost but charge you hundreds to ship. This is an international site and doesn't have the same refund policies EBay has when using PayPal. You will find the same vendors selling on EBay however.

• Members

I'm more adventurous now and don't look for new. I've been tweaking my own guitars 18 years and have developed the patience needed to continually make them better because I know I'm not going to buy to get a better guitar. I keep my tweakers documented on this FB page.

• Members

Actually the Dragonfire and the GFS are the same pickups, Cant remember who actually manufactures them though, Bought a set of the Dragonfire hot rails because at the time its all I could find in red, But at this point of the build they really needed to be red, Sound killer though,

e6fb4eff468dadadbe899cbf3f23d4fe.thumb.jpg.6638c1e7b18206982eb063a7e18a10bb.jpg

• Moderators

The only issue I have with most Squier guitars is the Squier sticker...some of their guitars play and sound as good as Mexican Fenders...not all but some. I'll put my Chinese Fender up against a Mexican Fender any day of the week, though!

• Members

I just bought a black Vintage Zip for 30 quid .Needed new strings and a bit of fettling but it bluesy rocks and is much better than I thought it would be.I also bought a new Squier Bullet Mustang which is great value and just a great little guitar .It sound Ok but I think some 500K pots would suit it more .

• Members

If you're looking for a good strat, I'll throw my $.02 in for the G&L Tribute series. I've bought two recently - a Legacy and a Fallout. They're super cheap on the used market and of really good quality. They show up on the Musician's Fiend stupid deal of the day from time to time as well. The only thing I'm not sure of, is if they are standard Fender strat spec, so that aftermarket parts will fit. Worth checking out though. The pickups in them are even good.

I think players are less about new cheap guitars and more about great deals on used gear these days. I haven't seen a specific model or brand being brought up a lot lately. It used to be all about Squier Classic Vibe Teles or whatever guitar that was sub $400 and "better than my American guitar."

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm just all about guitars. New, old, used, vintage, fancy and expensive or bargain basement basics - if it's cool and I like the way it plays, sounds and looks, that works for me. :)

• Members

I like Epi Les Paul Special IIs, I got one used from Reverb.com for less than a $100 and put a pickguard from eBay on it, a DiMarzio Super Distortion (also from eBay), Gotoh tuners and an unbleached bone nut from Stew-Mac, and an X-Trem and Wilkinson roller bridge from GFS. I love it

B5C84FFD-709F-466F-86DA-ACE36825720D_zpsjupxgzlg.jpg

A0907F4A-8B8D-41C8-8FED-3686BFBED9F4_zpsdopilaye.jpg

I like Epi Les Paul Special IIs, I got one used from Reverb.com for less than a $100 and put a pickguard from eBay on it, a DiMarzio Super Distortion (also from eBay), Gotoh tuners and an unbleached bone nut from Stew-Mac, and an X-Trem and Wilkinson roller bridge from GFS. I love it

B5C84FFD-709F-466F-86DA-ACE36825720D_zpsjupxgzlg.jpg

A0907F4A-8B8D-41C8-8FED-3686BFBED9F4_zpsdopilaye.jpg

Did you mod the electronics too?

Archived