Electric guitar thru headphones at night

echo8287

• Members

I wanted to know the best way to hook up a Mac book pro to a signal processor so I can listen to Spotify at night and play the guitar thru the processor and listen to both outputs thru the headphone jack of the processor. Got an old Digitech processor. Do I need a stereo mini jack(plug that into the headphone output on the Mac) to a 2- 1/4" mono guitar cable and plug that into stereo input on the Digitech. Is this the correct hookup? Then what to set the Digitech unit so I can hear the input from the computer and input from the guitar. I could set the level of the Spotify output with the computer and the Digitech with the level controls. Will that work? I know some of yall young guys know the best way. Or do I need some other equipment to make it work better? Thanks for any assistance, David

• Members

I not exactly sure, but recently I bought a Yamaha THR 10 amp. It has a guitar input and a 1/8 input, so you can send that from your ipod/phone/ computer into tye Yamaha amp.

The amp has a headphone out jack too.

I'm gonna think about your set up and get back to ya.

• Members

IF it's one of the Digitech's that allow you to have an aux input, plug your mp3 player, your guitar and headphones. no need for the Mac.

I am with Mikeo though, having a Yamaha THR10, and use it for a audio monitor, amp, mp3 amp, recording, it's really the perfect little amp.

• Members

Thanks to all of you who replied, I've got 2 of the Digitech units an old Legend and an 1101. I wanted to use the computer as the Spotify source for music, and I wanted to hear Spotify and the guitar thru the headphones. This is after everyone has gone to bed so I hope they don't hear all the strumming. I was hoping I could just get a cable to plug all the stuff up, because its all in close proximity to the computer. Thanks for any assistance, David

• Members

i use a vox ampplug

https://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_amplug_2_ac30.htm?glp=1

it has a line in plug where you can plugin your mp3 player or your mac book or whatever, you'll need a stereo cable with a headphone jack on each side.

you can plug the amplug direct to your guitar or into to amp/out of any efx pedal in front of it and your headphones to the ampplug

its a small and cheap solution which works pretty well

• Members

I've just got a standard basic PC interface (mine is an M-Audio) and I plug the speaker emulator output of my guitar rig into one of the inputs there, plug the headphones into the headphone output on that, and set that as the default audio output for the computer. The sound you hear from the guitar is direct (ie it hasn't gone through the computer) and then I can play along to anything I can play on the computer, plus use it for recording and the like.

• Members

I use a little mixing board, with my computer in one stereo channel and the stereo output from my guitar processor in another.

This way you can use anything. Spotify on your smart phone? Sure! Plug it in!

When I'm learning stuff I slightly pan my guitar and the music to opposite sides to make it easier to tell which is the original and which is me.

• Members

Tele, I have a litle headphone amp similar to the vox (not as good), I am going to dig that thing up and check it out, see if it has any outputs or inputs. Chris I have a interface but it is hooked up in the basement to a computer down there. Grant I know I've got an old teac mixing board that i don't use anymore, I'm going to try it, thanks for all the different reply's to solve a problem, yall are great!!!

Archived