What I like about a good electric guitar

cybersecretary

• Members
I like that' date=' no matter how experienced or good you get, the instrument (especially a really good one) has a way of drawing more out of you... there's always more to learn.[/quote']

I may have mentioned this before but a friend of mine from junior high school is the son of a working musician. When he was nine years old his father bought him a '56 goldtop and, according to legend, simply said 'here kid, learn how to play the guitar.'

My friend is a talented, naturally gifted musician so it wasn't just the guitar but he had the great advantage of being able to progress at his own pace without the the shortcomings of a second rate instrument holding him back.

By the time we were in grade nine, he was playing Hendrix tunes - along with whatever else was hot at the time - with his own trio at school dances.

When I was starting out, beginner instruments were a very mixed bag - many were utter garbage, and trying to learn on a cruddy guitar is a recipe for frustration and probably failure. I know a few people who gave up after struggling with guitars with really high action, etc. I was fortunate to have a family friend who loaned me a nice old J-45 when I first really got serious about learning how to play, and then parents who bought me a decent acoustic for Christmas the following year. Then I bought a Les Paul and a Fender amp for myself with the discount and money I earned from working in a local music store...

You don't have to have a high-end guitar to learn on, but you definitely want one that won't hinder your progress either.

• Members

Low action so I won't get hand cramps

Good size frets that are forgiving when my chording/fretting isn't spot on above the fret

An ergonomic feeling neck radius that's neither too round or too flat

Rolled fretboard edges and decently finished fret ends.

And most of all - Tone - chimey vibey tone. Nothing makes me put a guitar down faster than a dull tone

• Members

The fact that the fret ends don't try to chew up my hands. That harmonics Want to come out of the guitar and do not have to be forced. I like that good guitars don't have to be retuned after every song, that's Really annoying. Dependability and Feel.

Archived