Which one to buy? RG321MH (used) vs GRG121DX (new) vs RG421EX (new)

waltchwarzkopf

• Members

Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite some time; I did stop and restart a couple of times and even changed to bass and violin for a while, but guitar is what I like best. Last month, I found my old guitar in my parent's house, an HSS Strat Marshall Rocket Special (with hot output humbucker) which sounds and plays great. I do not like having a tremolo, so I've blocked it, although I'd prefer a hard tail. But the biggest drawback for me is that it has only 21 frets, and as I like to play rock, metal and progressive like Steve Morse, Deep Purple, John Petrucci, Dream Theater (among many others) I find myself needing the 22nd and 24rth frets quite often, so I'm looking for a guitar with 24 frets and a fixed bridge. I like Ibanez and always wanted one, so this is where I'm heading.

I've tried to stay away from the GIO series, but I've never tried one, I've read good and bad reviews about them. I like the RG series, although some people say that they (standard) are cheap guitars and you should go to Premium or Prestige. I want to spend the least amount of money possible, I could spend more and treat myself, but to be honest I'm a cheapskate and will probably never buy an "expensive guitar". I don't mind buying used, as long as it will save me money and it is in good condition and does the job. I've read that one may "outgrown" the GIO pretty quickly and will want to replace it or mod it, and putting expensive pickups on a really cheap guitar is not worth it.

My options are as follows: They all have in common thin neck, HH pickups, fixed bridge and 24 jumbo frets; these are my requirements so they are not included in the PROS/CONS. All of them come with a mahogany body with flat black finish, maple neck and bound rosewood fingerboard. All three manufactured in Indonesia.

RG321 MH (used) for 200CHF* / 187EUR* / 202USD*

PROS:

RG series

5-way switch (this is a big advantage for me)

Mint condition

Open humbuckers

White dot inlays

Comes with a Ritter bag and spare string (I don't care much about this)

CONS:

Used (Manufactured in December 2007, from the serial number.)

Link: http://www.tutti.ch/zuerich/musik/instrumente/angebote/ibanez-rg321mh-e-gitarre_14523744.htm

Wikia Ibanez: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG321MH

GRG121 DX (new) for 211CHF / 197EUR / 213USD

PROS:

New (hopefully I'll receive a 2017 model)

Cheap(er than RG new)

CONS:

GIO series

3-way switch (this is a big drawback for me)

Covered humbuckers (it can be removed easily)

Sharktooth/Himalaya inlays (doesn't affect the playability nor the sound at all)

Link: https://www.musik-produktiv.ch/ibanez-rg421ex-bkf.html

Official Ibanez: http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=193&color=CL01

RG421 EX (new) for 365CHF / 341EUR / 369USD

PROS:

RG series

5-way switch (this is a big advantage for me)

New (hopefully I'll receive a 2017 model)

Open humbuckers

White dot inlays

CONS:

Expensive

Link: https://www.musik-produktiv.ch/ibanez-grg121dx-bkf.html

Official Ibanez: http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?data_id=269&color=CL02&area_id=3&year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=9

The used one is in a city close to where I live and I will try it this Saturday 25th and if I like, buy it. The two new ones would have to be purchased online without trying them; there is a 30-day-money-back but I will have to pay the return and it may cost a lot (50-100CHF).

I'm leaning towards the RG321, as it will get me into the RG series for less money than the new GRG, so it seems like the best of both worlds. Unless you advise me otherwise. From the pictures, it looks good, and I will have the opportunity to try it before. I'll go to some local guitar dealers (not many with Ibanez around) and see if I can try an RG series, although they may only have guitars in the 1000CHF price range and may not be directly comparable, but it might help me get a feeling on the neck and the frets.

Thanks a lot for reading and for your advise,

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers,

Walter

*Original price is 250CHF, but I've negotiated and we've settled on 200CHF.

The uploaded pictures are from the used RG321MH

P.S. I live in Switzerland and buying only is not as easy as in other countries as it is not part of the EU and the CITES laws puts some restriction on rosewood.

P.P.S. If you live in Switzerland or Zürich and can recommend a good shop or want to get together and jam, send me a PM.

7fffdc116db665bc6ccdef3df9f37165.thumb.jpg.c037a2a039ff9907a77262132c360a7c.jpg

5c54f5c820105f46d3cc0e052761b053.thumb.jpg.15e36f46b7af881a2ef493fb93782c3b.jpg

9be501205f6a874c93d5c25356497779.thumb.jpg.fc05056b38a4da8b11daaa0eab74ef83.jpg

• Members

As long as everything is OK with the 321 then I can't see a reason not to buy it. The fact that it's 10 years old is good because it's most likely been played in, already cheaper as a used instrument, if it's not immaculate then you'll be less concerned about bashes and dings and is within your budget. As long as it plays OK then I can't see a reason not to choose this one.

FWIW I like pre-owned guitars.

• Members

I'll third it and say, the 321. The GIO is not of the same quality components, and the other is out of your budget. And absolutely nothing wrong with a used guitar. All of the little things that a new guitars does, (Neck moving, intonation issues, loose hardware...) it already has done, and more then likely fixed. Trust me, I would buy used over new, any day of the week.

• Members

I tested the guitar last Saturday and it was great. It was from a guy that used to work in a music store, so he got it in a good offer a while back. He's also a musician that owns quite a few other guitars (with active pickups), but he almost never played this one. The guitar was in top condition, played great and sounded great too. It had new strings installed (11-48) and he also gave me a pack of new spare ones (10-46), along with a Ritter bag (I saw it for 50€ online). So, I took the guitar home and the more I play it, the more I like it and it sounds and plays better than my HSS strat.

I'm very happy with my purchase and I also saved a lot of money and got a much better guitar than a GIO.

Thanks a lot for your advise guys,

Cheers, Walter

P.S. I may change the strings for the 10-46, I find the other ones a bit too thick and heavy.

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu: You'll probably want to start an official "New Guitar Day" thread with pics and perhaps a clip or two. Also, once you put the new strings on it might be worthwhile to have the guitar "set up" for that gauge.

Archived