RIP Chuck Berry

humbuckerstrat

• Members

No one had greater impact on direction (or creation) of rock and roll. One + of being a geezer is I was around listening to his stuff when it was new, seeing how it progressed, waiting in anticipation for his next offering. Saw him in concert in 1969 & thought "Doing pretty good for an older guy, still rocking" If someone had told me he'd still be rockin in 40+ years more I might have said "What are you smokin'?" (and can you pass me some)

• Members
No one had greater impact on direction (or creation) of rock and roll. One + of being a geezer is I was around listening to his stuff when it was new' date=' seeing how it progressed, waiting in anticipation for his next offering. [b']Saw him in concert in 1969 & thought "Doing pretty good for an older guy, still rocking"[/b] If someone had told me he'd still be rockin in 40+ years more I might have said "What are you smokin'?" (and can you pass me some)

It's all relative isn't it.

• Members

R.I.P. Chuck Berry ....

You made the World a better place, not many Humans can't do that with politics, an Army or sacrificing themselved.

Mean while, the Voyager Space Probe left our solar system, with a disc with Maybelline and Johnny B. Good on it.

Who knows maybe some one will find it and enjoy his music too.

• Members

I don't know but Hail Hail Rock n' Roll gave the impression that Chuck was the man that crossed Country with Blues and invented the new sound known as Rock n' Roll. Not so sure about that but he was a great entertainer (loved that shuffle) he embodied R&R with his attitude and chops and he influenced everybody from the Stones to the Beach Boys. Loved what he and Johnny Johnson were able to accomplish together - pretty sophisticated for the time. I never really got Elvis but I got Chuck right from the start. RIP Mr Berry and thanks for giving us the best scene from Back to the Future.

• Members

I'd long thought that Chuck Berry should have been celebrated at more public events before this day came. His private life left some marks which made his public celebration a bit less than P.C. in some circles, but I say "weigh the contributions". To me, he was a true American treasure and innovator. Despite being a bit difficult and full of himself, many of his statements also showed a very humble man who appreciated his accolades. Even though he may have said, "nothing new under the sun", I dare say it will be a long time before pop music gives us someone who sounds as new and groundbreaking as Chuck.

Sad, but I still will be inspired by his music.

Archived