How important are strings?

hellion_213

• Members

To you, brand-wise, speaking. I normally use DR Pure Blues in either 10-46 or 11-50 or Market Blue Steels. (I do have to adjust the Floyds when switching brands or gauges) I will also immediately cut the strings off and restring a new guitar, or used guitar that I've bought. I went to the local store back in early February to pick up some new strings and they were sold out of almost everything, or hadn't restocked anyway. I had broken a string the day before and really needed something, so I bought a pack of SIT strings. A lot of guitarists don't think it matters, "because they're all probably made at the same factory" but these things...Suck. and I bought a couple of packs of those and one or two of the shop brand so I wouldn't have to go back for a while, the guy behind the counter had commented on how much like DRs they both were. Pinch harmonics are a challenge with these, and normally pop off like crazy, i.e., exactly how I want them to. Palm mutes sound more like I've covered the strings with my whole arm, just dead and lifeless. So, am I in the minority, or do you all have a go to string set that nothing else stands up to?

• Members

I use elixer Nanoweb not because they are the best sounding but as I mentioned in the "coated strings" thread, I simply need the longevity. And they sound......good enough.

They may make them all in one or two factories but I suspect different companies are requesting different specs. There are for sure differences in string brands.

My favorites for sound are Thomastik Infeld's or just regular old Ernie Ball slinky's.

• Members

Are the nanowebs those strings that when you slide, you can't feel the coils? I think I've tried a set of those a while back, I know I tried coated DRs anyway. The ones I'm thinking of were slick, almost like having all solids. Felt pretty cool, just couldn't do a pick slide or palm squeal real well, lol.

Never tried Infields, may try them on my Squier.

• Members

No, you can totally feel the coils on Nano's. It's been a while since I used a set of polywebs (the elixer's with the thicker coating) but from what I remember those are more like what you're talking about. The coating is much more noticeable.

The Thomastiks are great strings. Pricey though.

• Members

I use pure nickels. Have for years. Gauge depends on the guitar. I use Fender 150s and Pyramid flats. Lately I have been using the Gibson Historic strings on my Gibson stuff because someone gave me a few boxes of them.

• Members

D'Addario all the way. EXL-110 (10-46) ECG23 (Chrome flats 10-48 or 11-52) or the EHR310 (Half round 10-46.) I have tried everything out there, despise some, can't afford the others. And find that no matter where I go, I can get the strings I need just about everywhere. I love the feel, the tone, and the price.

• Members

As I said on Chris's and Phil's coated string thread I did go thru a lot of effort comparing acoustic strings - actually recorded a whole bunch of different strings on the same guitars under the same conditions, listened to them side by side, and chose the ones that to my ears were the best (or really, the best compromise). I'm not as convinced that other than feel, strings affect the sound of an electric guitar that much so I haven't bothered too go thru all the work (and believe me, its a lot of work). Those of you with better ears and/or a whole lot more experience with electric guitars can tell me I'm full of it but I'm pretty happy with plain old D'Addarios on the LP and Tele clones, but I've got to admit I do like the Tomastik Infelds on the jazz box (my two jazz playing swear by them, good enough for me).

• Members

Polyweb were the original heavily coated Elixers - they have almost no string squeak but seem to muddy the sound slightly. On an acoustic I felt like new Poly's sounded like very old uncoated strings. They are also the ones that get fuzzy. Nanoweb are the thinner coatings, some string noise, much better sound and reasonable life. Chris posted a review of something even newer, I haven't tried them

• Members

Considering the fact that electric guitar pickups are, for the most part, electromagnetic transducers, and don't work with nylon strings I would think that the different alloys that strings are made of would affect the magnetic field and therefore the sound produced by the pickup.

• Members

For me nothing has the same combination of features that Elixir does. They really have just the right tension and I love the slinky feel. Always great intonation. The humidity here makes uncoated strings start to feel rough after just a short while, but never the Elixirs.

• Members

I'm sold on Polywebs. They don't make 'em in 32 - 52 anymore so when I heard, I bought a box of 10. I have 6 sets left - 12 gauge plains I think - I only use the wounds. And don't even anymore. I use MF generics and play 'em as long as I can stand 'em.

Reasons::

You don't really need new sounding strings to play music

Single coils make too much treble anyway.

As soon as you start bending, your intonation starts toward the irretrievable. Bright tone is real favorable to this condition.

I used to tweak the saddles as the weeks wore on but I don't do that anymore either. Nowadays I just change 'em, enjoy the nice metallic sound while it's there, and move on with whatever it was the strings were for.

• Members

For me, it's gauge first in terms of the way they play followed by sound. I tend to be somewhat ham fisted so I use light top/heavy bottoms on my electric, 10-52. At the moment I'm using D'Addario EXL140's and I like them fine. I may try Ernie Ball 2215's next time. I tried their Earthwood strings on my main acoustic and didn't care for them, the B string sounded weird for some reason. I had GHS GBLXL 10-38's on my Fernandes Strat when I sold it to help with intonation on the low E. I'm too cheap to buy coated strings so no experience there.

• Members

I use Gibson bright wires 11-50, and really like for tension/durability.

However..... I bought some in bulk a little while back to save a few pennies, and the plain strings started to rust up in the packagings!!!!!!

I'm hoping it was just a bad batch, because I like them enough, better than earnie balls.

For my Vigier Expert (Strat type) I use fender bullets 10-46 because of the bullet ends, and again the strings are pretty good. And not having to dislodge a ball end from the floating tremolo is a good bonus too.

Archived