I recreated the studio gear for Metallica/Kill em All

tock

• Members

Had a crack at the kill em All sound.

I think I really suffered from not having a real console eq. They boosted the crap out of that plexi track and I think that was the difference. I perhaps could have scooped a bit and the bass was a bit loud. Plus I recorded the solo off the cuff. So "remembering" it for the vid was comedy gold.

• Members
I like Metallica too, but why would you want to recreate their first album tones? That album isn't known for its production values. I'm not trying to put you down because I'm genuinely curious.

I explain in the vid why.

Short version is some (like me) love the raw tone and energy of the new wave of British metal like Motörhead influence. And we tend to think the more polished sound esp on the black album started a trend in metal which took us away from our roots and got over polished/processed/lost its edge that makes metal alternative.

• Members
I understand why you love those sounds. When I do cover tunes, I do them note for note and with the tones they used,no matter how simple or complicated they are.

Your explorations into others tones will help you in your quest of your own tonal voicings.

This is "my" tone/voice:

Archived