Agile LP 2500 Cherry Sunburst

fuzztone

• Members

I won this on Ebay last night. It made me flash back to when I first joined this forum in 2004. In those days HC was like The Agile Forum,lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_123312_1487609234791_142[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_123313_1487609311674_374[/ATTACH]

11f02d5075e9c4f758889d4b0d50655e.thumb.jpg.27303e2eedb7ae743dbfd79cec060e05.jpg

aa51a2ae889fd704357212bf0f2b02e4.thumb.jpg.6315cea433b071fc4953ba7220a54515.jpg

• Members

Thanks,It is used.I won it on Ebay last night so I don't have it yet. I remember when I joined this forum in 2004 Rondo music had already changed the shape of the horn and the headstock of the Agile guitars so you couldn't buy one like this anymore.You had to find one on Ebay or Craigslist.

• Members
I've always wondered why they have no resale value - they have their fans' date=' and they're reasonably well built Korean guitars. But you couldn't give 'em away 'round here.[/quote']

It's the same with Cort, who builds some of the best Ibanez, and Samick, who has built most of the good Epiphone. Under their own name, you can't give them away.

• Members
That's beautiful burst. So were these the "Lawsuit Agiles" that made them change the headstock and the horn?

Thanks! Yes,This is some info that Kurt posted on the Agile Forum in 2015

"We trademarked the Agile brand name in January of 2000. We had been selling instruments on ebay since 1998, but there really was not all that much on line action for us until about 2001 or 2002. Before then we sold most of our Agiles in store. I cannot say the exact date we first started selling the them. It was fairly common for us to try different things we would find at various trade shows. Some would take off (SX, Agile etc) others would die out. We would basically let our customers tell us what they like and what they did not and we went from there, expanding, changing or dropping lines as the customer dictated. I seem to remember buying an entire booth from a Korean factory back in 1998 or 1999 and that ended up becoming our first supplier for Agile.

As for the headstock issue I may still have the paperwork somewhere, but I believe Gibson contacted us sometime in 2004 and we were involved in 'aggressive negotiations' for much of that year. During that time we came out with an intermediate headstock to sell along with our original stock. The current version of the Agile headstock started appearing in early 2005. Production of the original stock ended sometime in 2004. However there may have been some older stock (2004 inventory) models sold in part of 2005 as well.

Kurt"

ss2.jpg

• Members

This from an interview with Kurt in which he answer some questions about the history of Agile guitars.

"One of my biggest problems is with delegation, so not only am I working on answering customer order emails today, doing accounting I even went up on the roof today to initiate work on a leak. So time is limited. I think the few articles linked to here already talk about the history of Rondo, at least as far as Agile goes, so I am going to skip that for now. I will address a few other specific questions here:

*In what year were the very first AL models made?

Kurt> I believe it was 1999. We only keep computer records back to through 2006. We may have the paper record, but that sounds like a project for retirement. I hand coded all the original inventory programs on an IBM 5120 back in 1979 so the digital record does exist going back that far somewhere as well.

*Were they even called “AL” in the very beginning?

Kurt> I believe the very first model was the "LP-2000" and "LP-2500" Gibson, however was not impressed by that name.

*How much did the first AL cost?

Kurt> I believe we have them at $199 with some occasional sales in the $159 to $175 range (for A stock) with b stock models in the $99 range.

*What is the specific order in which subsequent models were introduced?

Kurt>There were many models, such as the E1 http://www.rondomusic.com/e1blue.html and the EP-1 http://www.rondomusic.com/ep1acoele.html that came out after that did not sell all the well. So they were discontinued after a while. There are probably 100s of models that we introduced the past 16 years.

*How has the price of the AL changed over the years? Was there ever a point(s) at which it jumped dramatically?

Kurt> I recently saw some records of our Gibson purchases. USA made LPs and SG models in the high $300 to low $400 range. It seems like not all that long ago (mid 80s, early 90s). There are a number of factors relating to the increases which could take several pages to explain. The weaker USD, the higher cost of labor (overseas) the higher cost of oil (for freight costs), and the lack of competition (we used to have about 12 factories competitions for business in Korea, now down to just a few all contributed.

*Has the evolution of the AL line even been an “evolution”? What I mean is, has there been a discernible trend of steady improvement over the years, has the entire thing rolled out in happenstance fashion, or has it actually degenerated?

Kurt> I would like to think so - the first LP-2000 model did not offer an ebony fretboard, or Grover tuners or alnico pickups . The current models offer those improvements, plus improved bridges, tuners, dual action trus rods, graph tech nuts, and coil tapping. None of those features were available on the early models. Soon we will be introducing additional improvements (hint hint).

*In your opinion, what was the high water mark for the AL? In other words, in what year was offered the best quality guitar at the best price?

Kurt> IMO they get better every year. The highest water mark is yet to come. Yes some people like the shape of the guitar prior to the 2002/2003, before headstock and horn change. So those are some of the most highly prized and collectable models. The features and quality of todays models, as far as what's coming off the production line is unquestionably superior. Even considering the higher price.

*What are some of the rarest models of the AL that were ever offered?

Kurt>Probably some models I don't even remember. Over the years we would often get one of a kind samples which we sold out. Those are probably the rarest - quite a few acoustic models.

*When was the first full maple cap model offered?

Kurt> Possibly the 3000M -

*When were Alnico pickups first offered?

Kurt> When the AL-3000 came out.

*For bonus points, name every Agile model designation code ever offered and what features the numbers/letters stood for.

Kurt>That's like a 100 hour project so I am going to pass for now. Possibly one day we will create an archives section on the site and start building up that info."

042.jpg

036.jpg

039.jpg

• Members

harold h posted this on The Agile Forum:

"One thing I do not see mentioned is what got momentum going, as far as Agile standing out

in the crowded field of imports.

So, back in the nineties, Rondo first started selling guitars out of the back of GP magazine,

these were branded "TEAM", and were advertised as solid wood (S-copies) for $119.

Then, shortly thereafter, probably very late 90's, Rondo asked a guy on the old HC forum

named stratcat to review one of the new Agile Les Paul copies they had.

He loved it, and reported back to the forum the details of the guitar. This started a mini-

frenzy, as at that time solid wood Les Paul copies were not very common.

Looking back, the crazy thing was, stratcat had a very wonky dial up web connection, and

it started giving him trouble, and he soon disappeared from the forum. He was a pro player

and gigged a lot so the forum was not a priority for him.

I bought one on stratcats recommendation, it was black, and I dont think it even had a model

name as they only made one style.

It was extremely heavy, which was the only thing that didnt appeal to me, and a few months

later another forum member named weirdchaz bought it from me."

Archived