What were they thinking?

gardo

• Members

The logic is "I don't give a crap about doing it right so I'll just grab whatever pickup is handy and since the pickguard is in the way I'll just stick the pickup here." You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish when you don't care about the results. It's why my wife can fix anything with duct tape. One of our former Acoustic Guitar Forum guys took a soundhole pickup intended for a six string guitar, stuck it in an acoustic bass, and declared that it sounded purty good.

• Members

Mandolin = hillbilly instrument. :lol:

I'd wager that most people that don't play electric instruments have NO CLUE how a magnetic pickup works. ("Magnets, how do they work?") They think the pickup is some kind of microphone that picks up sound waves. That's what the gold foil screen is for, to LET THE SOUND IN. :lol:

I've seen noise-rockers who mounted a pickup behind the bridge to be able to amplify those sounds, but it is pretty senseless on a mandolin, and total fail to do it as a means of trying to amplify the instrument in any kind of conventional way.

I'd have to guess that it was most likely done by someone who was fairly clueless.

Looks like the wire is long enough to put it in front of the bridge. Maybe that's where they keep it tucked away when its not in use.

A reasonable theory... but I don't see any mounts for it on the other side of the bridge. How are they keeping it in place when they move it there?

• Members
A reasonable theory... but I don't see any mounts for it on the other side of the bridge. How are they keeping it in place when they move it there?

Gravity? Seriously, the pickguard would keep it from falling out. It would still rattle around. Another issue would be that there wouldn't be a pole piece near enough to the G string. The bridge needs to be shifted too; the G strings are running off the fretboard at the soundhole end.

Archived