Finally...I'm Going To NAMM

Midlife Rocker

• Members

A friend of mine that works in the recording industry got me a pair of passes to NAMM. Always wanted to go, but never was able to get passes. I'll be like a kid in a candy store for four days!! Heard the Gibson room is secured for only dealers. Maybe if I flash my Avatar from this forum, they'll let me in :-)

Anyone else gone recently and have any recommendations for me?

Cool! How many days are you going? I'll be there probably on Thursday and Friday. The basement (Hall E) is full of the little companies, whacky ideas and new stuff (as well as large importers of impostor gear and wood supplies) and is usually pretty fun. I like just walking through the show and wandering but that means that I usually don't spend as much time upstairs at bigger companies like Fender and Taylor unless a friend is performing. If you're only there for a day make a list of what you want to see first and then wander. And eat outside at the food trucks. Its expensive but the food inside the convention center is also expensive but disgusting.

• Members
Cool! How many days are you going? I'll be there probably on Thursday and Friday. The basement (Hall E) is full of the little companies, whacky ideas and new stuff (as well as large importers of impostor gear and wood supplies) and is usually pretty fun. I like just walking through the show and wandering but that means that I usually don't spend as much time upstairs at bigger companies like Fender and Taylor unless a friend is performing. If you're only there for a day make a list of what you want to see first and then wander. And eat outside at the food trucks. Its expensive but the food inside the convention center is also expensive but disgusting.

I'll be there Thursday - Sunday morning. I'm hoping that's enough time. Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks for the heads up on food...good to know!

I'll be there Thursday - Sunday morning. I'm hoping that's enough time. Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks for the heads up on food...good to know!

Thats plenty of time. If you see a guy who looks like the dirtbag on the right come up and say hi. Or the guy on the left, I guess. Thats Dendy :)

Close

• Members

You'll have a wonderful time. First time around you'll be walking around in a daze, there's just so much to take in. As you attend more NAMMs, you start getting a bit selective of how you spend your time as it takes pretty much the 4 days to walk the whole show the first time around.

As Mark says, Hall E in the basement is where the newbee's go until you earn enough seniority to make it up to the main hall. Lots of innovation along with a bunch of crap. On the first day of the show they open the basement earlier than the rest to give it some exposure it may otherwise miss.

Top floor has private rooms where the likes of Fender, Gibson, Godin, Taylor, etc. set up away from the rabble lower down.

If you're not used to doing a lot of walking, simple things like sensible shoes and clipping tone nails can help keep you going.

Mark is right about the food situation. My [secret] way is to stop at Subway and get a footlong, etc. in the morning that I nibble on over the course of the day. Evenings are usually packed with parties, dinners, etc.

Tons of talent congregates at NAMM. Newbee suggestion is to grab a directory as soon as you can and spend an hour going through highlighting the booths you want to attend and marking them on a show map. It's amazing how "obvious" things become a blur after a few hours mesmerized by all that gear.

• Members

And it is worth mentioning that it is the only "trade show" [i'm aware of] that has wet bars scattered about the floors. I believe they start serving alcoholic beverages for the lunch crowd and carry through to the end of the day. I don't drink, but for those that do...

• Moderators

Yes: earplugs, comfortable shoes, some snacks, water, a backpack [schwag and logo'd items everywhere if you want stickers, tees, hats, etc,] a cellphone charger [personal experience], a pen and highlighter, a digital recorder [i have heard some great demos as well as shows], business cards [which I don't have any HC cards...Phil...;)].

Eat a decent sized breakfast before you go in!

Parking has progressively gotten worse over the years, last year I was parked at Anaheim stadium...

• Members

Hah! I think the booze is a way to grease the deal-making wheels. Amazing how much alike $100000 and $100 look after you're falling down drunk!

And, let's not forget this is a convention full of musicians. While life-styles are changing, sex, drugs [washed down with copious amounts of alcohol] an rock-n-roll have long been synonymous with the music crowd.

I know it's a bit more expensive, but staying close to the convention center is worth the premium - plus you save on car rental, parking and hassle. But you have to plan ahead [sept usually] to get the deals - last minute planning is very costly.

And it is worth mentioning that it is the only "trade show" [i'm aware of] that has wet bars scattered about the floors. I believe they start serving alcoholic beverages for the lunch crowd and carry through to the end of the day. I don't drink, but for those that do...

Have you ever been to Musikmesse? I haven't, but I can't imagine the Germans wouldn't have plenty of places where you could get a beer, either there or very close nearby. :idk:

Archived