Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a DAW for me

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All for piracy? How do you justify that?
    Because I can be. If I like something enough, I buy it. My house is overrun with books, DVDs, Blurays, CDs, and vinyl. I give my music away for free for that very reason. Music and art is for the people. That's why I have a day job.
    My partial discography: https://www.youtube.com/user/BucksStudent/videos

Comment

• Grant Harding
      Grant Harding commented
      Editing a comment
      For the people that make the software this is their day job. Doesn't seem right to steal their products even if you're giving away what you make with it. I'm not trying to change your behaviour, just to understand piracy and the underlying justifications better.

You say "If you like something enough you buy it" ,then say you're all for piracy. So why not just steal it,that's really what piracy is.

Comment

For the people that make the software this is their day job. Doesn't seem right to steal their products even if you're giving away what you make with it. I'm not trying to change your behaviour, just to understand piracy and the underlying justifications better.
      I don't record my music on pirated software, bud. I use Audacity.

Gardo, do you know of a way to replicate holding a book in your hand and feeling the pages as you read? Is there a way to experience vinyl album popping on your turntable while you hold the album sleeve? Can I download WAV files for a specific album that I love without ripping the CD? Can I enjoy my favorite films' director commentaries and special features with torrents? These are all rhetorical questions, by the way.

Neil Young said piracy is like the new radio. People are tired of industry and corporations. If you work, you know the meaning of a dollar. Minimum wage in GA is $7.25. If a CD is $20, and you make minimum wage, that's several hours of your life poured down the drain for what could really suck. Why bother buying a CD when you can buy more food? $20 is a lot of ramen noodles. Downloading an album or movie isn't the same as stealing a physical copy from a store, either. If you buy a DVD from Walmart, you're supporting a pretty messed up corporation, their employees who they treat like crap, and what's left goes to the film companies, actors, and directors who are well off as it is.

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment
        Why should I buy food,I can just walk into the fields and help myself. No one will miss a few apples or a little corn will they. Maybe grab a chicken or two while I'm at it,whose to say a fox didn't get them The farmer has a big house,he doesn't need the money and the stores are overcharging for food and treating their employee's badly.. Bypass the system. ,be a pirate.

Yeah, you're not getting it. Stealing MP3s is not the same as stealing food. At all. And if you go on a farm in my county to steal, better keep an eye out for the farmer's .12 gauge.

But I'm not here to change your POV, and I have no interest in doing so.

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I don't get it. I don't know the difference between robbing and stealing
        Some people believe in what they call Karma ,have a different name for it but the result is the same,what goes around comes around

You don't know the difference between sitting at a computer and taking food from a field? You don't comprehend how taking food from farmer's personal property doesn't equate downloading music? What about taping music off the radio? How about watching a Youtube music video with Adblock? Do those equate to stealing food from a store?

I'm not going to lose sleep over you thinking karma is going to get me. I don't like you, Gardo, and you don't like me. Your logic doesn't make sense to me, and I know mine doesn't make sense to you. That's fine by me. I'll keep doing what I do, and you keep doing what you do. Have a good one.

Comment

^^^ Sorry that's a lame excuse to justify acts of moral bankruptcy.

Just because you can do something and get away with it doesn't mean its right or acceptable by your peers. I cant condone behavior of those who destroys the music industry I've worked in for over 50 years. I don't care what your justifications are, they are ALL lame and ALL based in immoral behavior that cant be trusted by others working in the industry. Doesn't matter if you're in a studio or working the stages, a person who condones or commits theft cant be trusted by their fellow musicians.

I don't care what a person tells themselves to ease their conscious or if they even have a conscious. You steal from other musicians you don't belong in their circles. Doesn't matter if its a $.99 cent song or a piece of obsolete software. It hurts someone's ability to earn a living in music and are not friends to working musicians.

I rate pirates lower then the musicians who have stolen gear from me in the past. At least they had the balls to risk being shot dead when they break and enter. Pirates are sneak thief's and bottom feeders of the lowest lifeform because they blanket themselves with lame excuses to why its OK. Most professional Musicians are noble people. They tolerate other musicians learning to play their songs and even play them out, but that's where it ends. You honor them when you play their music. That's not the same thing as robbing them of their income. When a person steals an artists music instead of buying it they deserve to wander in the wilderness and be cursed by others ten fold.
        Last edited by WRGKMC; 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Wow. You feel better now?

Comment

• WRGKMC
            WRGKMC commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes.

Sorry I started this - wasn't my intention and I have nothing against you. I like you.

Given my wife and my occupations, stealing software is like walking into my house and taking food off the table so I'm too close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Harding View Post
            Sorry I started this - wasn't my intention and I have nothing against you. I like you.

Given my wife and my occupations, stealing software is like walking into my house and taking food off the table so I'm too close to it.
            I'm usually only concerned with media piracy rather than software piracy since I find cracked software isn't as reliable as actually purchasing it. I use Audacity because it's free and I like it. If I had a million bucks, I'd still probably use it. But, if I had the money to purchase anything I wanted, I wouldn't pirate anything.

But I wasn't in here for an argument either. I try to remain respectful of others here, and arguing annoys me because it's usually a deadend. People believe what they want and we generally don't change their minds.

I can't help but laugh at WKRP, though. He's a poster child for Dunning Kruger.

Also, I'm sincerely sorry if piracy affects your industry. I have trouble believing it affects most of the entertainment industry, especially with new films like Star Wars breaking records and what not, but I don't doubt it hurts someone down the line. I don't know any homeless musicians who lost their livelihood through piracy, but I wouldn't wish you any harm.
            Last edited by Bucksstudent; 01-11-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• WRGKMC
              WRGKMC commented
              Editing a comment
              Cant help you if you're incapable of seeing the bigger picture. I would have hoped you realize if the millions who have your attitude that have destroyed the music business making it unprofitable for musicians to earn a living. I realize its a hopeless cause to enlighten individuals who approve of piracy, but all I can say is if you plan on having a professional career in the industry you wont find many friends.

Destroyed the music industry? Don't blame piracy for your decline in income from music. How many people pirate your music? None, I'm willing to bet.

And what if I told you that I have no interest in playing music for profit? What if I told you I have friends who are professional musicians who have pirated music, movies, and video games?

You're getting worked up over something that doesn't affect you. Most musicians I admire either don't mind piracy or encourage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksstudent View Post

Well, Pro Tools would be free for me if I really wanted it too, because I'm all for piracy.

For the record, HC is very anti-piracy. We believe that all creative people deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, so we're very pro-creative rights / copyright.

That's why we ask that no one post links to warez sites and so forth.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Most musicians I admire either don't mind piracy or encourage it.

Many bands do encourage people to share their music with others - often in the hope of gaining / increasing a fan base. However, it still remains illegal to share the music of those bands if they are under contract to a label, since the copyrights to those recordings are almost invariably owned by the label and not the band.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

For the record, HC is very anti-piracy. We believe that all creative people deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, so we're very pro-creative rights / copyright.

That's why we ask that no one post links to warez sites and so forth.
                  Okay. I also believe creative people deserve compensation. That's why I buy their physical products. But I also support people who can't afford those products to enjoy them anyway. I guess that makes me a bad person. Oh well.

Many bands do encourage people to share their music with others - often in the hope of gaining / increasing a fan base. However, it still remains illegal to share the music of those bands if they are under contract to a label, since the copyrights to those recordings are almost invariably owned by the label and not the band.
                  That must make those bands bad people for not supporting their own labels. Neil Young, Radiohead, NIN, Henry Rollins, Jack White, Lady Gaga, Norah Jones, Dave Grohl, amongst so many other well known musicians aren't against piracy, so that must mean they're bad too.

Yeah, it's illegal. So is jaywalking, breaking the speed limit, and anything but the missionary position in some states (Yep, that law is still in the books in Georgia). I'm not going to change your mind anymore than you'll change mine.

So you guys keep shaking your fingers at me. I'm going to go read a book that I bought with the money I earned.

Comment

My house is overrun with books, DVDs, Blurays, CDs, and vinyl. I give my music away for free for that very reason. Music and art is for the people. That's why I have a day job.
                    is that why you give your "music" away for free? ...has anyone ever offered to pay for your "music"?

Comment

as for a DAW... i use logic

if i wasn't on a mac... i'd either use reaper or pro tools

Comment

Working...
                    X