Recommend a DAW for me

gardo

• Members

Got a new lap top and need a DAW, I had Audacity on my old PC and was able to do some basic recording and minor editing. I have technophobia so please try to keep it easy to use ,and also inexpensive. I used Audacity because it was free but trying to find a way to download it with out a lot of garbage was a problem, I record for personal use;jam tracks and samples for ealuation mostly'

Thanks for any help you can offer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SONAR released a new version of Home Studio before Xmas and I got it for $34.99. Not sure if that deal is still good, but retail it's $49.99. It's got a ton of plugins with it, Drum Kits, Rapture Synth stuff and a ton of onboard processors and effects and amp models.It also came with a load of backing tracks, drum tracks, loops... I've just begun to play with it and it's pretty impressive for $35.

I also am an Audacity user...And have been for years. No complaints in that department. But the power in Home Studio is undeniable...Over my head a bit. Probably more than I need given my meager talents. But to get a program from a major name in DAW's for $35 is pretty much a good roll on the dice I figure.

Pretty quick download as well.

• Members

i'm using a cubase lite version which came with my audio interface and is really outdated.

you could try reaper with 60 days trail license and if you like it, the discounted license which applies to you is $60 for a fully functional DAW without any limits

haven't tried it myself

basically all the DAW's work the same, but use different names for the operations and have different short cuts and menues.

it wold definitely help you if you could grab a book or tutoral or so, which shows you the basics of working with a daw and you would lose some of your technphobia and will make it much easier for you without doing the trail and error stuff where you never find out why some things work like this and not the other way around :)

• Members

All The Major DAW's have their strengths and weaknesses. I suggest you compare their options by googling them up so you get what you need and don't get a bunch of junk you'll never use.

I'd also compare the computer specs against the DAW programs minimum system requirements. Some DAW's can run like a dog if your system isn't a good match.

Make sure your interface drivers are up to specs too.

Here's a couple of sites that give you comparisons. Read up on them all so you know their strengths and weaknesses. Some programs excel at Midi, some at loops and sample, others are better for recording instruments

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/

https://www.careersinmusic.com/best-daw-2016

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...d-today-238905

Most DAW's will do the same basic jobs of recording and editing. The big differences between them are their plugin packages. This is one of the things that accounts for the differences in pricing. If you know where to collect the best Free and low cost Plugins you may not need a premium DAW program and can get by with a stripped down version and simply collect the plugins you need.

If you can afford to buy a more expensive package then you usually get just about everything you need to produce a professional recording, plus you save on the cost of buying all the plugins separately.

Once you narrow down your choices visit the manufacturers page and look at all the options the program has. If for example you don't do any Midi it makes no sense buying a program loaded with virtual midi instruments you'll never use. On the other hand, if you need a Good drum program some include Midi based drum programs.

Track limitations with lite versions may be another thing to avoid. Programs that limit you to 8 tracks can really stunt your creativity. Many of those programs are given away for free in hopes you'll upgrade to their more expensive versions.

As far as my own preferences go, I have many major DAW programs loaded on my Studio DAW. Some do things better then others. I have Cubase which I prefer for Midi work. It's GUI isn't too complex to figure out and its does well recording too. There are a few things I dislike like having to set the tabs up for the recording length of a song and its file management system and cleanup really sucks.

Sonar is super easy when it comes to regular audio recording. The program can be modified to your own preferences and its menus are predictable when you go to look for things. It coms with a powerful set of audio tools too. Its a little heavy on resources however.

Reaper is very powerful and light on resources. It does a few things in odd ways but once you get past those its as good as any other DAW.

I had Logic back when they made a Windows version. The program should have been called Illogical. it was a basket case written by code writers who never touched analog studio gear or had any concept of how an analog studio worked. Their newer versions are mac only now so unless you run Apple they aren't an option. They are very similar to Pro Tool now. Pro Tools is a wonderful program. I only have an M-Audio version so its features are limited. I wasn't impressed enough by it to buy their newer versions which are targeted for Pro studio work. I'd be wasting my money for use in my smaller private studio. I can record 24 tracks but I do just fine with my other programs.

I do have Ableton live, Adobie, and a bunch of others. I use Sonar Producer most of the time, simply because Its one of the easiest to run, especially when you're actually performing with a band and running a daw at the same time. Its plugin package is is excellent for my needs. I can do video work with the program too. If I do Midi work I switch to Cubase.

• Members

I suggest you try Reaper before you decide. The download is free and the trial version is unrestricted. If you decide to buy, it is only $60.

A quick way to learn Reaper is to right-click on everything.

Is you new laptop a Mac or PC?

I suggest you try Reaper before you decide. The download is free and the trial version is unrestricted. If you decide to buy, it is only $60.

A quick way to learn Reaper is to right-click on everything.

Is you new laptop a Mac or PC?

I'd agree with this but most importantly for a PC-based DAW is what WRGKMC said about making sure the specs and drivers of your particular model computer are compatible with what you decide.

I'm a Mac guy so I haven't used a PC for recording in years but this was always a concern when I did have a PC.

Got a new lap top and need a DAW, I had Audacity on my old PC and was able to do some basic recording and minor editing. I have technophobia so please try to keep it easy to use ,and also inexpensive. I used Audacity because it was free but trying to find a way to download it with out a lot of garbage was a problem, I record for personal use;jam tracks and samples for ealuation mostly'

Thanks for any help you can offer

Talk to me... tell me a bit about what genres of music you're into, and what sorts of things you'd like to do with your DAW. Will you be creating a lot of MIDI / virtual instrument tracks, or is audio recording and ease of editing more important to you? That kind of thing... Also, please tell me a bit about the computer system you're planning on using with it - CPU, RAM, operating system. Will it be used for other tasks too? Are you pretty comfortable configuring the computer system's settings (with a bit of instructional help) if need be?

Many interfaces come bundled with a "lite" version of one DAW or another, so if you don't have an interface already, that might be something to keep in mind. When considering an interface, make sure it has enough inputs for everything you want to record simultaneously - a four input interface is the bare minimum if you want to track "real" drum kits.

Reaper is definitely worth checking out. Lots of people love it, and it has fantastic support from the coders who created it. I've heard a few good reports about the new Home Studio version of Sonar (see Joe's comments) but I haven't tried it yet - but from the sound of it it might be worthy of consideration. Sounds like it comes with lots of extra goodies that could be useful... plus Sonar (the big boy version, which I do have) isn't overly resource-intensive, which is a important consideration if you're using a slightly older or less powerful system.

• Members
Audacity is pretty good for domestic use. I still use it a lot. The only reason I use cubase is that Audacity won't do MIDI tracks.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

What was the nature of the "garbage" you felt was happening ?

The garbage I'm referring to is adware and marketing add ons. It could be that I didn't down load Audacity from the best site.

• Members

Talk to me... tell me a bit about what genres of music you're into, and what sorts of things you'd like to do with your DAW. Will you be creating a lot of MIDI / virtual instrument tracks, or is audio recording and ease of editing more important to you? That kind of thing... Also, please tell me a bit about the computer system you're planning on using with it - CPU, RAM, operating system. Will it be used for other tasks too? Are you pretty comfortable configuring the computer system's settings (with a bit of instructional help) if need be?

Many interfaces come bundled with a "lite" version of one DAW or another, so if you don't have an interface already, that might be something to keep in mind. When considering an interface, make sure it has enough inputs for everything you want to record simultaneously - a four input interface is the bare minimum if you want to track "real" drum kits.

Reaper is definitely worth checking out. Lots of people love it, and it has fantastic support from the coders who created it. I've heard a few good reports about the new Home Studio version of Sonar (see Joe's comments) but I haven't tried it yet - but from the sound of it it might be worthy of consideration. Sounds like it comes with lots of extra goodies that could be useful... plus Sonar (the big boy version, which I do have) isn't overly resource-intensive, which is a important consideration if you're using a slightly older or less powerful system.

Interface? now we're getting too technical. As far as computer system and cpu and ram I have no idea. My wife got me a new laptop and said it's a good one that's about all I know . It's an HP Envy and it says Intel Core 17 7th gen.,also it has the current version of Windows. Did I mention thechnophobia. I am in no way a computer person I want easy .I plug a Fender Mustang amp into the computer and record.. I use a mic for any thing I can't run through the amp.I playback through a kick ass 70's Pioneer stereo system that makes my little amp sound pretty darn good

So we're talking home use only

I appreciate the help but this is way over my head.

• Members

You said you didn't know anything about an interface.

An interface is a high speed external sound card. It uses special ASIO drivers that will stream audio data too and from the hard drive.

If you haven't bought and interface then you're putting the cart before the horse worrying about a DAW program. Most DAW programs wont even install correctly unless they see you have an interface connected with its drivers loaded.

Most DAW programs wont recognize a computers windows sound card so get yourself an interface first.

Your Fender Mustang amp does seem to have a built in USB interface so it may allow the DAW to set up and run.

Your recording/mixing options are going to be severly handicapped however.

An interface is not only for recording with mice and instruments plugged in but its also going to provide the high speed stereo playback of your tracks when mixing. A regular sound card, if it is able to run with the DAW program will stutter and shut down on you.

You cant multitrack with a normal windows sound card either. The windows drivers are too slow to run in real time and you have no direct zero latency monitoring which bypasses the processed sound and allows you to play along with previously recorded tracks in sync. What you'll experience instead is a delay like you're playing through and echo unit with the mix knob set to full echo and no direct sound.

You simply cant play your notes in time with the previously recorded tracks without the zero latency monitoring an interface provides, even if you use your amps USB output.

I suggest you go here and start reading up on what's involved with setting up a DAW. This is very easy reading and designed for people like yourself who need basic guidance spelled out so any beginner can understand it. I've gone through the site and parts of it are a little dated but overall its presented very well and covers all your basic topics.

I'd start with Interfaces, latency, install issues, DAW programs, and Monitors. If you come across terms you don't understand google them.

Eventually you'll need to know at least a little about every topic listed so bookmark the page and read a little at a time till you've read all chapters.

This will clear up most of your questions and the advice others give you here on HC will make a whole lot more sense to you. Good luck.

http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/

Interface? now we're getting too technical.

An "interface" is a device that connects to your computer and assists in getting audio (and/or MIDI) information into, and out of the computer. Most computers have some audio capabilities built-in these days, although the audio quality of them isn't always that great. The audio/mic input and headphone out of your new laptop are an example of a basic, built-in audio "interface" for your computer.

A lot of MIDI devices these days use USB interfaces, which your computer already has... but it sounds like you're not that into MIDI...

As far as computer system and cpu and ram I have no idea. My wife got me a new laptop and said it's a good one that's about all I know . It's an HP Envy and it says Intel Core 17 7th gen.,also it has the current version of Windows.

Sounds nice! I wasn't familiar with that model, but I looked them up... it is certainly plenty powerful for what you want to do.

Did I mention thechnophobia.

:lol: Yes, I believe you did. Don't worry, I'll be gentle... :love:;)

I am in no way a computer person I want easy. I plug a Fender Mustang amp into the computer and record..

That Mustang amp is serving as your "interface" for the computer. It's providing the input to it, and converting that analog signal into a digital one (which is what computers work with) that travels over the USB connection into your computer.

I use a mic for any thing I can't run through the amp.

Does the Mustang amp have a mic input, or are you plugging it in some other way?

I playback through a kick ass 70's Pioneer stereo system that makes my little amp sound pretty darn good So we're talking home use only

I appreciate the help but this is way over my head.

I was not trying to make it over your head or overly complex - I am just trying to get a better handle on where you're at and what you want to do so we could all make more intelligent and hopefully useful recommendations. :) You're doing just fine, and we're here to help.

I think Studio One or Cakewalk Home Studio would be worth looking into. Reaper is free to try, so you should check that out too, but you may find the other two apps a bit more noob-friendly.

• Members

Is it threadjacking if I hop in? Paying the freight: Gardo, try Studio One.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to use a Scarlett 6i6.

Intended workflow:

* program songs in DrumPerfectPro on iPad. iPad stereo out ---> interface ----> DAW.

* Playback drum track(s) in real time, overdubbing bass, guitar, vox, accent tracks. For a few reasons, I prefer to overdub while monitoring the computer's outbound signal. In other words, my STRONG preference is to use the laptop's 1/8" output jack as my monitor feed.

* Small (and only small) chance I'd want to record drums acoustically, and I feel comfortable miking that with four mics, ergo, the 6i6.

Probably going to look at Sonar, Studio One, Reaper, for DAWs once I get a laptop.

And that's where I keep circling my tail. I know that I could buy a Macbook, buy Logic, and be done with it. But I don't trust Apple's enforced-upgrade ways, and would love to go PC.

Which PC? I've had one minorly successful thread on another forum where people made specific suggestions, but I'm terribly frustrated that I can't get a simple set of suggestions for "Here, here is a laptop for about $800 that will work" and be done with it.

Instead I get painfully long lectures about ASIO drivers, or worse, posts from know-it-alls who tell me I should have a different workflow.

Anyone want to link me to some $500-$1,000 laptops that WILL accommodate the above?

Archived