A Trip to the Greatest Guitar Playground on Earth

soundcreation

• Members

So I just got back from a week in what has to be the greatest city on earth for guitar shopping. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm of course talking about Tokyo.

Now......I could "bore" you with things like....

fetch?filedataid=121723

....the rack of Gibson Custom shops at Ishibashi. That's not even the full wall. This was behind me.... fetch?filedataid=121724

And that's not even showing you the fender custom shop section, the PRS section, the standard gibson and fender USA model section, all the "other" brands like ibanez etc, and the used section.

Hang on....don't respond just yet....

• Members

Here's Ikebe...(with friendly photo bombing staff!)

fetch?filedataid=121725

But this stuff has been covered many times by others on youtube and the web. Here are a few interesting reads with descriptions and great photos if you want the usual stuff.

http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2014/07/08/guitar-shopping-in-tokyo-5-things-you-should-know/

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/tokyo-offers-possibly-the-greatest-selection-of-guitars-on-earth.html

http://guitarsjapan.com/Japanese_Guitar_Shops.html

(wait...)

• Members

It's impressive to say the least.

Honestly though I walk right past all the Fenders and Gibsons. My search is for the Japanese manufactures or interesting and unique guitars. Ikebe was great for that....

Here's a wall and floor stacked four or five rows deep with Momose (Bacchus' premium line) guitars and affiliated brands.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868356[/ATTACH]

Keep in mind these are almost all 2K plus guitars. Stunningly built. Check out the Momose Sakura edition Les Pauls...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868357[/ATTACH]

Flamed Japanese Sakura tops, and pick guard, with a matching headstock...amazing....

• Members

Plus some other unique guitars I found....

Check out the paint job on this thing....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868360[/ATTACH]

even more cool in person...

Some Zemantis...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868361[/ATTACH]

And these Teisco guitars were brand new made specially for the shop. No terrible 70's action here...a new modern version with great fit and finish....(plus a strangely cool tele of some kind)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31868362[/ATTACH]

But.....IN SPITE of all this....guitar nirvana.....keep in mind this is just TWO shops....EVERY shop in Tokyo is like this and there must be 30 to 50 of them at least.......

It STILL didn't prepare me for what I was about to find......

Strap yourselves in.....

We've only just begun....

Part II to come..... a little later ;)

• Members
Wow. I love those teisco remakes. Looks like mostly spectrum V types?

Yep. Tags say Spectrum 5. Of the tags I can see, the sunburst is alder and the rest are mahogany. All maple necks with rosewood fingerboards. Says pickups are "Teisco original".

I probably should have played one for the hell of it, but didn't have time. Did wrap my hand around it though and the neck and action felt great. Just over a grand in US dollars.

That kind of stuff is pretty easy to order out of Japan from the stores.

hmmm i cannot spot any lefties, must be a very lousy shop.... just kiddin :)

thx for sharing

Somewhere in some tiny corner of a back alley in Tokyo there's got to be a little shop that specializes in lefty guitars that has every guitar you've ever dreamed of in stock.

At least I choose to believe there is. ;):wave:

• Members

Somewhere in some tiny corner of a back alley in Tokyo there's got to be a little shop that specializes in lefty guitars that has every guitar you've ever dreamed of in stock.

At least I choose to believe there is. ;):wave:

not tokyo, but florida

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/

and not every guitar i ever dreamed of, but almost everything what is currently available. and this guy (altough not lefty, but a righty who can only play lefty after some accident) is very passionate, and contacts manufacturers directly and makes special deals if he take x numbers in his shop (x around 10) if they will make a special run of lefties in special colors etc

and he is quite sueccessful, also gretsch made specials for him....

but would this shop justify a trip florida? and if i go there, what will happen if i can test so many different guitars at once? and what would customs office say if i fly back with 5+ guitars? and my significant other?.....

questions lots of questions...

let us not open this pandora's box :)

• Members

It sounds nice to be in a guitar store full of great instruments. You also need room to check out the instruments. A store that to packed can be more of a hindrance in some ways. I've been in some small stores that every move you make has to be a careful one less you bump into something or someone or fall. no good! Some good old boy comes is and sits down on a stool and falls back taking out a row of guitars.

Love the pics.

Archived