Anyone with an 80s Yamaha RGX? I need help with setting up the Rockin' Magic Pro (RM-Pro) bridge.

Cosmo.D

• Members

Today the mailman dropped off my new (to me) Yamaha RGX612. It has the original Rockin' Magic Pro Tremolo. I set it up as I would any other Floyd-rose type trem: block it so them trem sits parallel to the body, re-string, tune, unblock tremolo, adjust springs until the the bridge is once again both parallel to the body and in tune. The problem is after doing all this I can't get action low enough on the bass side. I've screwed down the post as far as it will go, so it isn't getting any lower. The only thing I can think of is perhaps is that my conception of parallel is flawed. Having the trem tilt backwards would lower the action. This runs counter to like every piece of wisdom regarding the setup of tremolos. Is there anything I could have done incorrectly? The tremolo differs from the standard Floyd Rose as it pivots on needle bearings.

Hopefully someone out there has one of these and can tell me how it is supposed to be setup.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Today the mailman dropped off my new (to me) Yamaha RGX612. It has the original Rockin' Magic Pro Tremolo. I set it up as I would any other Floyd-rose type trem: block it so them trem sits parallel to the body, re-string, tune, unblock tremolo, adjust springs until the the bridge is once again both parallel to the body and in tune. The problem is after doing all this I can't get action low enough on the bass side. I've screwed down the post as far as it will go, so it isn't getting any lower. The only thing I can think of is perhaps is that my conception of parallel is flawed. Having the trem tilt backwards would lower the action. This runs counter to like every piece of wisdom regarding the setup of tremolos. Is there anything I could have done incorrectly? The tremolo differs from the standard Floyd Rose as it pivots on needle bearings.

Hopefully someone out there has one of these and can tell me how it is supposed to be setup.

gee man that other guy was totally wrong the trem rm pro set up right are probably one of the best ive used in 35 years of this type of system,the intonation can be adjusted extremely well also the locking nut is height adjustable.just great engineering.i know this is a late reply but if you have swapped it out can i buy the old one if not i can really help u set that up.the rgx80s yammys are excellent guitars btw,just replace the pups and u have a winner that blows rg ibanez,s away in there dust like literally the ibanez is still on the start line as these rgx gits win the race.there solid man.my rg550 wizard neck moves so much my dog could fart on it and put it out of tune.so let me know cheers

Archived