Since Black Friday starts earlier and earlier every year, whats on your "Musical Holiday Wish List"?

Mark Wein

I've been buying a ridiculous amount of small gear this year so I'm pretty good at the moment. In a perfect world with unlimited funds I'd want a Red Plate "Magica" combo amp for my rock gigs to replace my Suhr Badger 30, a nice Archtop, an Eventide H9 to replace my Strymon Brigadier Delay and an iPad pro to read charts better on.

In reality I'll probably have enough gift cards to buy an overdrive pedal of some sort.

Whats on your list? Fantasy AND reality?

• Members

Dream, that list can get rather long. I'd love the new Nace 18-pro amp for starters. A baritone guitar of any brand. A whole bunch of tools for Stigma since I'm getting into building. Some '57 pickups for my Les Paul. Did I mention a fancy lelectronic drummer and a PA system? :)

Honestly, there isn't a thing I am GASsing for too badly this year.

• Members
Where did you find those acrylic shelves Bluesmann?

You can build them quite easily by yourself. You just cut up sheets of the PMMA acrylic stock of your choice, to the dimensions you need, and assemble it using quick setting clear epoxy.

• Members
What do you use to cut the acrylic with ? :)

I've done it two ways:

1.) Using a glass scoring tool with a fixed (non-roller) carbide steel scoring blade -- the tool you normally use to cut glass. You score the line and snap the piece off like you would if you were cutting glass.

2.) You can also use a jigsaw blade made specifically for cutting acrylic sheets. This is the preferred way if you are cutting thick sheets, because it will take forever using the scoring method to achieve a sufficient break line.

You may need to lightly sand the cut edges with 200 grit wet-or-dry if burrs are left after the cutting process.

BTW, glass can be considered a liquid that never quite "freezes." :eek2::confused2:

2473390145_0c929c3da8_z.jpg

kiln%20distorted%20projects%20015.jpg

Glass02.jpg

• Members

I was very very restrained.

Black Friday, I bought 2 SonicCare replacement toothbrush heads off of Amazon for around $10

Cyber Monday. Not so good.:o

I ordered one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg

I succumbed to 34.3% off MAP. Plus, I really do prefer vintage Marshall tones. And this thing also comes with the UK version 20 watt Greenbacks that are supposed to sound more "broken in". So I'm looking forward to its arrival. Just need to clear a path and hope this purchase is a better silver bullet aimed at my GAS.

I was very very restrained.

Black Friday, I bought 2 SonicCare replacement toothbrush heads off of Amazon for around $10

Cyber Monday. Not so good.:o

I ordered one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg

I succumbed to 34.3% off MAP. Plus, I really do prefer vintage Marshall tones. And this thing also comes with the UK version 20 watt Greenbacks that are supposed to sound more "broken in". So I'm looking forward to its arrival. Just need to clear a path and hope this purchase is a better silver bullet aimed at my GAS.

oh my. Is that similar to the 1974x?

• Members

Yes, it's just the 2x12 version. The 1974X is a 1x12. The 1973X is only 4 inches wider for the extra 12" Greenback G12-M-20 (i.e 28" wide). And since it's an open back design, and with Marshalls not having quite the same natural depth of tone of similar vintage era Fender amps, I figured the extra 12" speaker would help round out the tone with a bit more thunk.

It was a bit of a tough decision for me to place the order because I'd also quite recently bought a Fender '57 Custom Deluxe hand-wired amp (a 1x12 with a custom Eminence alnico speaker), so I figured I already had an amp to end all amp GAS'n (that never happens) but I kept circling back to whether or not I'd be kicking myself in the butt if I didn't jump in on this deal before it was gone. So we'll see what happens when it arrives. Probably towards the end of next week since they were back-ordered at the time of my purchase.

But I'll still love the '57 Custom, but I think this 1973X will be a better lover of my humbucker guitars that tend towards the phatter end of the tonal spectrum.

Surprisingly to me, my only lament so far on the '57 Custom Deluxe I bought is that, even with it being only 12 watts (and this Marshall is only 18 watts), I can't get the volume down to what one might call "bedroom level" without losing its characteristic tone. In other words, the volume knob on the '57 really jumps from "off" to a bit too loud to sit right next to it. So I'll be interested to see how this low watt Marshall amp behaves. If it's similar, I'll make due with some boost pedals.

One little mystery, everything I've read says that these are close replicas (with minor modern enhancements - such as a power and pedal cord that can be unplugged) that were only produced from 1966 to 1968. So why did they call it a "1973X"?

I also considered the Bluesbreaker model, but from what I read, at 30 watts, it's quite loud. And with my experience with the 12W '57 Custom Deluxe, I figured I should take that to heart since it's primary role will be home use.

I just noticed that MF is now sold out on this deal, but SW is still getting a few more in.

Archived