Virtual Amp Plugins vs Real Guitar Amps for Post-Hardcore music recording

KevinTJH

• Members

I'm recording a post-hardcore song with a producer professionally in a few weeks. I'm given many options on how I would like to record guitars. While I have invested a lot on money of high-quality Amp heads and Cabs, I don't know if that's the "right" sound for this genre. He said it all comes down to the sound I'm going for.

Here's a very old song I recorded with my previous band with REAL guitar amps with a different producer. We used 2x Peavey 6505 and 2x cabs and recorded in stereo (a total of 4 guitar tracks for each guitar, 8 guitar tracks in total for lead and rhythm). But there's just something about the tone that I'm not liking too much.

https://readyforthefall.bandcamp.com/track/no-fate

For those of you who aren't familiar with this genre, have a listen to this song. Pay close attention to the rhythm guitar. This song is 100% virtual amps.

Here's the making of that song by their producer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeqESsKLEKg

This is another song that I really love the rhythm guitar tone of, but I'm not entirely sure if it's virtual amps and real amps:

Here's a video comparison of 3 Virtual Amp models that my producer said he would like to try out, he wants to use the Guilty Pleasure model. If you have time and interest to listen to them, do let me know which of the 3 you favour the most!

What are your thoughts, guys? Would love to hear some opinions, especially from those who are familiar/have recorded this genre of music

• Members

Well, I don't have any major opinions one way or the other on those tones. I can say that with the recording of your band, stuff got way too compressed at some point in the process. It just doesn't sound professionally mixed and mastered. My ears were already tired after listening to it for 90 seconds. I've heard both great and {censored} live recorded guitars and the same for virtual amps. My suggestion would be to record with your favorite amps. This will give you a level of comfort and familiarity in the studio. At the same time, record a clean/direct track. This will allow you to use plug-ins, or re-amp that track through any amp you want after the fact. This is how I do all guitars now. Good luck.

Archived