What's your favorite les paul model?

mbengs1

What's your favorite les paul model?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite les paul model?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Would that be the 57 Custom, the three pickup 57 Custom or the 68 Custom?

The term Historic covers so many permutations on it's it's got more guitars than your whole list, you forgot the SG, which was the 62 LP, the Studio has so many iteration, you forgot the first set of 50s Tributes, the 60s Tributes, the 70s Tributes the Les Paul BFG, The Le Paul Deluxe, the P90 56 iterations, The walnut The Pauls.

Too many Standards to mention....sorry but you'll need to try harder

• Members
Would that be the 57 Custom, the three pickup 57 Custom or the 68 Custom?

The term Historic covers so many permutations on it's it's got more guitars than your whole list, you forgot the SG, which was the 62 LP, the Studio has so many iteration, you forgot the first set of 50s Tributes, the 60s Tributes, the 70s Tributes the Les Paul BFG, The Le Paul Deluxe, the P90 56 iterations, The walnut The Pauls.

Too many Standards to mention....sorry but you'll need to try harder

this is true.

I have only owned one LP in my life.So the one I purchased in like 82 and have played since seems to be working for me.

• Members

Let's see... Had a 72 Custom, loved it, had it stolen.

Have an 81 Custom Silverburst. Love it.

WANT a 56 Custom.

So, I think I answered that question.

So are SO many variations on a theme that it's beyond ridiculous. Growing up, you had the Standard, the Deluxe, and the Custom. Personally, that's all Gibson needs.

• Members

I couldn't vote in your poll because you left out the lite series. I have one of the Custom Studio Lites from 2000 and it's the perfect LP for me for a variety of reasons. (Mine has the same pickups and gold hardware as the traditional Custom line.) Firstly I like the fact that it's not overly heavy and on a corollary note I feel it is more ergonomic and easier to wear because of it's narrower frame. I really like the fact that it has Grover tuners as opposed to the tulips on most models that many complain about (mine are rock solid and really hold tune). I think I just got lucky in the fact that mine has a one piece back. And regardless of what some have posited regarding tone and mass, mine sustains for days and sounds like an LP should IMO. It may not be the prettiest girl on the block but it's a real solid player.

• Members

My favorite is my Custom Shop RI '59. I'm not being a cork sniffer saying that, I'm just saying it because when I pulled it out of the case and played through the bridge pickup, it gave me this "wow, that's what a LP should sound like from the bridge". It makes the bridge sound so much more versatile. It's warmer and rounder than any other bridge tone I get from my LPs, yet still has a vibey complexity that sounds like a chorus of voices. The neck p'up also sounds great, but it was that bridge tone that I found to be most remarkable.

OTOH, I don't recommend buying a R'9 because one should have a guitar that they feel totally comfortable with and won't need to go through the 5 stages of grief if you put a ding in it. So that aside, I'd say get a LP that's not too hefty, but not chambered or weight relieved and that has a Burstbucker 1 and 2 in it. I like chambered LPs too, but they are a different tone, i.e more semi-hollow-ish in tone. And if you're more harder rock to metal inclined, and play with lots of distortion, then there's no reason not to go for an LP with the BB 2 and 3 combo, or the 490/498, or the 496/500. But for me, the R'9 is best for that classic tone. My next most pricey is a Custom Shop '57 LP Custom 2 PIckup w Bigsby VOS, but IMO, it pales in comparison to the R'9.

I rotate mine around, and lately I'm in bliss with playing the Gold 2013 LP Tribute to LP model with P-90s and the Trapeze tail. My R'9 spends too much time sleeping securely in its case, which is why I don't recommend buying one, unless you really want to have "That one special LP as your daily player". I'm too neurotic to take full advantage.smiley-wink

I love the look of a '59, but there's no way I'd be comfortable with the neck profile, so if I was going for a vintage, it would have to be a '60.

I've never been big on Customs. Too much bling? Anyway, Standards are where it's at IMHO. And I'm with buck - no clownbursts please - give me something with flame, but a more subdued iced tea or honey burst please.

• Members

Indeed, I went with an Iced Tea when I bought my R'9. But to be honest, it looked a bit more reddish in the Sweetwater Gallery picks. It looked like a very subdued clownburst. Their lighting used to do that quite a bit more back then, because the lighting was pretty bright. Although with my last purchase from SW, I think they've got the lights turned back up again. LOL But yeah, even though my Iced Tea arrived looking much more like ice tea, I'm still happy with that pick. And my '57 Custom is a heavy beeyatch, as they are supposed to be, but it just doesn't have the same resonance as the R'9. That might be due to the Bigsby.

• Members

I've had this one since 1991. I like its vintage slimmer D shaped neck over the Gold Deluxe I had during the 70's. The P100's are a bit lower in output compared to the Deluxe which had the mini HB's but do produce some good tones half way between Mini's and P90's.

This one is a heavy bastard weighing 11lbs so I don't use it performing allot any more. Its like strapping on a cinder block. Great tone and sustain and playability though.

DSCN5005.jpg

• Members

I have two Les Pauls and they are very different from each other. My DC Standard (not included in this poll')is very light and has a Slim neck. It has good 57 pups that Sound great in this guitar. My newly acquired Kossoff aged LP had a heavily reliced back of neck that I couldn't get used to so i sanded, oiled and waxed the back of the neck. feels great now. It's a baseball bat kind of neck. It's agreat LP. So I voted "historic" since it is basically a 59 recreation.

Archived