Will dust damage the finish and tone of my guitars?

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I've noticed lately since I've had far too much time on my hands, and no friends except in forums, that my guitars that I put on stands are getting very dusty.

I keep cleaning them, but the dust comes back, and if the dust is doing tha kind of damage to outside what is it doing to the electrical knobs and bits where the strings go at each end of the guitar.

The guitars I keep in cases for some reason don't seem to have this problem, but I do notice that the guitars in cases are much harder to play, and I don't seem to play them very often, and this doesn't matter on whether it is a rectangular case or moulded case, ABS or covered ply.

Does anybody t else have any similar problems as I am very worried that this dust could wear my frets, snap my strings, break my input socket, stop my tuners from working and take the tome out of the pickups

• Members

Well, if you have a wife, the dust will give it the holy grail, WOMAN TONE!

If you have a pet, then animal growl will come from the pickups.

But my fear is that dust bunnies that live in the hollow bodies, will evolve and discover fire. THAT keeps me up at night.

• Moderators
Well, if you have a wife, the dust will give it the holy grail, WOMAN TONE!

If you have a pet, then animal growl will come from the pickups.

But my fear is that dust bunnies that live in the hollow bodies, will evolve and discover fire. THAT keeps me up at night.

Maybe I should keep them outside at night?

• Members

Saddles are critical. Besides cutting steel wire, part of the spec is to present the maximum inaccessible airborne particle reception possible. Wiping down is useless. Tiny allen screws with razor sharp threads stand ready to shred off any attempts at cleaning.

• Members

The proper amount of dust is mojo.,but like anything else it can be over done. The wear areas should be kept clear of dust to give the impression that it's played a lot. For real cred a little blood in the right places shows intensity in your playing

• Moderators
The proper amount of dust is mojo.' date='but like anything else it can be over done. The wear areas should be kept clear of dust to give the impression that it's played a lot. For real cred a little blood in the right places shows intensity in your playing[/quote']

Is there any particular brand of blood I should use, is generic branded blood as good as Ibanez branded blood?

• Members

Is there any particular brand of blood I should use, is generic branded blood as good as Ibanez branded blood?

Do you have a friend at a doctor's office? Maybe they can get you a sample from a famous player.

This sounds so weird that someone might actually do it

• Moderators
Don't be tempted to get the cheap Chinese dust. It looks and acts the same but it's not.

I think it's mainly dust from my TV which is Samsung, so probably S Korean dust, but I'll have an Indonesian guitar in a few days and I'm worried that Korean dust may wear the frets out, so I thought I'd get stainless frets, and just put up with the rubbish tone and narrowness of the neck

• Members

I think it's mainly dust from my TV which is Samsung, so probably S Korean dust, but I'll have an Indonesian guitar in a few days and I'm worried that Korean dust may wear the frets out, so I thought I'd get stainless frets, and just put up with the rubbish tone and narrowness of the neck

Liverpool was once regarded as a magical place so Liverpool dust might have some serious mojo

If you want to go for boutique dust

• Members

What you need is vintage dust.

Vintage dust is widely recognised to enhance the tone of guitars so much that they make most woman throw their underwear at you.

If your house was built pre 1970, your attic may be a good source of original vintage dust. You may even make a few bobs with that on ebay.

• Members
Ibanez blood on Ibanez guitars. Gibson blood on Gibson guitars. Otherwise you void the warranty. Fender recommends generic' date=' to keep the same generic sound.[/quote']

No, no. It's not the brand of blood, it's the type. O positive on Gibsons and B positive on Ibanez. A positive on Fenders. Don't you guys know anything?

• Members

ohhh, Samsung dust.... it will either catch fire, or blow up during a rinse cycle and break your jaw.

• Members
Deep' date='. isn't B positive for Fender? To actually want one, you need to B positive it doesn't suck?[/quote']

You need to B positive about any guitar, regardless of brand. ;) Any company can produce a lemon occasionally. If you can't B positive, you need a different guitar.

• Members

I've done several restorations on vintage guitars where dust had been on the finish so long it had melted into the lacquer. I had to use an abrasive and take the top layer off to get rid of it then bring the gloss back up using buffing compounds. Moisture trapped with the dust likely added to the problem.

These instruments were very old and I have no way of knowing what kind of dust it was or how long it had been on there. It could have been stored in a case for 10~20 years as far as I know.

Dust in homes with carpets and furniture often contain high amounts of vinyl and other man made fibers which can chemically react with lacquer. I had a guitar hung on my wall for 6 months and a guitar cord draped over it. The cord had a chemical reaction with the lacquer and melted into its finish.

Lacquer is a resin that never fully hardens, therefore it can continue to react to other chemicals, especially anything alcohol based. Best thing you can do is keep the guitar polished with Carnauba Wax. This helps keep moisture out and prevents dust from sticking. The other is to keep your instruments clean. I'm not saying you have to go nuts. I've seen some owners who have and fetish for keeping their instruments so clean it boarders on the ridiculous. Instruments are going to age no matter what, but you should at least do a good cleaning when changing strings. Get yourself a dry paintbrush you can use in areas like the bridge where dust is difficult to get to and use it to get into those tough areas.

There was a joke in my business about doing a good job cleaning the gear we repaired but it had allot of truth to it. It didn't matter how well the gear was repaired in the inside. The guys who cleaned the exterior well always praised as being great techs. The rest is like washing a car. It always seems to drive faster afterwards. You joke and say its because there's less wind resistance, but its simply a matter of pride in the things you own.

Archived