How do you make strings last longer in fixed bridge guitars?

mbengs1

• Members

The key here is "heavy use. How heavy is heavy? How high is up? Do you play your fixed bridge guitars more than your guitars with trems? What specific guitar or guitars? I know you have a Les Paul but it has a 24.75" scale. Do you have a Schecter or some other guitar you haven't mentioned? The short answer is buy coated strings, wipe them down after playing, play with a light touch, and don't do excessive bends. A guitar is not a drum and you don't need to beat on it.

• Members

I find my strings last longer on guitars that I don't play - although I have one nylon string guitar that the D string breaks from time to time while the guitar is in the case.

If I don't play a guitar (in an effort to make the strings last longer) it seems to defeat the purpose of having the guitar in the first place - especially since I am a guitar player.

• Members
. . . If I don't play a guitar (in an effort to make the strings last longer) it seems to defeat the purpose of having the guitar in the first place - especially since I am a guitar player.

A guitar player who actually plays guitars? What are you, some kinda wiseguy? ;)

• Members

As usual your post is short on specifics. you seem to enjoy people guessing at all the possible causes over actually finding a solution.

You don't mention where the strings are breaking, what kind of bridge, and what strings you're using, but since you mentioned the bridge I suspect its at that end where you're having the problem.

If your strings are unwrapping at the ball end, put a drop of crazy glue on then end to prevent them from unwinding.

Let it dry a little and wipe off the excess before putting the strings on. I've been doing this for over 35 years and never have strings unwind or slip out of tune on that end.

As far as breaking at the saddles, you have to be sure the strings have a smooth surface without any binding at the saddles. If the saddles are cut for string width they may need widening if the grooves are too narrow and binding on strings. If the guitar has a tail piece stop bar its break away angle may be too great.

Otherwise two weeks is way to short for any strings I use. I can easily get two weeks playing 4~8 hours a day. I play very hard too with allot of string bending and will notch the wrapped string badly yet they don't break on me.

You're issue is either a problem with your setup, your installation of the strings or the brand of strings you're using. Bending strings shouldn't break them either. That's not to say you cant get duds occasionally. I got one string in the past year that broke and even that was because I tried out a brand and gauge I don't normally use (and probably wont again.) Manufacturers do occasionally change formulas and produce bad batches. If you notice your sets breaking try a different brand. Stick with non branded strings too. There are only a couple of manufacturers who actually have factories who make strings. The rest are branded, made by these manufacturers, often using lower quality wire.

Lately I been getting 4 weeks of hard playing with minimal tone loss using these. I use 9/46 gauge because I like a tighter bottom end and lighter top for string bending. These have a bright steel tone and perfect balance and intonation.

la-bella-electric-guitar-nickel-plated-steel-light-009-046-hrs-l-8.gif

These will loose a bit more tone over their life but last nearly as long. These have a slightly darker tone but a strong mid output. Intonation is very good and that stay in tune. juststrings_2270_17238659

These are excellent on a Strat with single coils and nail that Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler tone. Bright, excellent intonation, and medium lifespan.

ghs-electric-guitar-progressives-roundwound-custom-light-009-046-plain-third-string-prcl-9.gif

D'Addario aren't bad for lifespan. Their string tensions are a bit uneven however. That have flabby B strings which I don't like and don't last as long as others. Ernie ball are OK for tone and intonation. Their balance is pretty good but their lifespans aren't so hot. They loose tone and get corroded quickly.

I've tried most other brands too. For one reason or another they just don't measure up for the hard playing I put on them. Sometimes it tuning, many times its intonation, other times its their tone or balance sucks. The ones I listed are highly consistent and I can install new sets without having to readjust the guitar setup.

• Members
I found that if you play a guitar too much, that increases the chance of snapping a string. but if you play it only little at a time, like 15 minutes, that decreases the chance of breaking a string.

Wait wait..... what?

This is some weird logic question from an IQ test for musicians, right?

OF F*CKING COURSE the less you play it, the less chance it has to break!

Whether it's an hour straight, or 12 sets of 5 minutes apiece, it's an hour's wear on the string. The amount of wear, and potential breakage, is the same.

How many strings have you broken? In the last 20 years or so, I have broken 4. 2, while working on a guitar, (Broke at the tuner.) and 2 while playing. Which, wasn't my fault, they were faulty and the ball ends weren't wrapped properly. D'Addario made good on the sets. What are you using as a pick, an ice pick? If you are breaking strings, you have an issue with the guitar.

• Members

What else do you do with untroll chum? Just give answer or more or less. I does. Maybe we should speculate as to motivation as WRGKMC suggests is the mechanism at work. For instance:

OP breaks lots of string and as per rocker mindset wishes to fault the 'quipment by way of the aura of prowess. On that tangent, MY top three strings are 14, 18. and 22. They are strongerer than those wimpy rock things and they don't bend much more than a half step anyway. Win win...

• Members

Don't play them as much. That makes my strings last a long time. I have over thirty guitars and a couple have had their same strings for 5+ years. I save a lot of money by having so many guitars and then not playing them. It's genius, really.

• Members

I used to be in a band with a guy that was always breaking strings. Pretty normal occurrence during practice and even gigs. I've never had this problem, I've only broken a couple of strings whilst playing and I've been playing for about 30 years. The problem with my bandmate's string breakage was completely due to his TECHNIQUE. To get a 'biting' trebly tone, he would use a stiff (heavy) guitar pick and pick very close to the bridge. This is how you break strings!

Make your strings last longer?

- Don't pick too hard

- Don't pick too close to the bridge

- Clean, dry hands before you play.

- Wipe off sweat afterwards

Archived