Best. Wife. EVER! Period.

badpenguin

• Members

Today, my wife and I were out, and we stopped at a guitar store. I have been wanting an old/older tube amp, you know, something small and vintage, and this store had 2 that were interesting. So I grabbed a guitar, and tried them out. After about 10 minutes on each, realized I hated both of them equally, but was falling in love with the guitar very quickly. Then I tried another amp, a Roland JC120, and loved the guitar that much more thru the clean setting, with just a touch of chorus. I unplugged the guitar when the salesman came up, and asked if I wanted a new amp, for my new guitar. He said he had a Fender from the 60's, and I said "no thank you, don't have that kind of budget, Uuhhhh, wait, what new guitar?" Well, as I was trying out the amps, my wife paid for the guitar I was playing. A 1999 Ric 330 fireglow. She told me she felt guilty that I had to sell my Ric 4003 bass to pay the mortgage when the economy tanked 8 or so years ago, and want me to have another Ric. Gotta love that girl to death!

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

FANTASTIC playing beast! Effortless action, chimey single coils, with the 5th knob acting as a neck blend, to add a bit of beef. But I have to say Rics are weird. the bridge adjustments, 4 Allen screws for actions, and the bridge sits on a metal plate. Allen screws for adjusting intonation, and the wiring is just, well, weird. but I LOVE weird!

• Members

I would have pushed the "like"button a lot more times if I could. That's great on several levels. 1 you have a great wife 2 you have a great new guitar 3 you have enough income to cover the purchase. 4 your relationship must be great for her to feel this way. You've got it all

• Members

I didn't open this thread the first time or two I saw it, because it's usually another "present from the wife story", but this one was well worth the read and very special. 1) you gave up something you loved for your family, and 2) although many are still short of funds due to the financial collapse from the Republican lead deregulation of Wall St, she made the sacrifice to show you how much she appreciated your thoughtfulness.

I can remember one of the iconic Latin American romance actors, probably Ricardo Montalbam, or possibly Fernando Lamas, saying in a talk show interview that Americans misunderstand what is meant in the Latin culture by "macho". He said, it's not about being big, burly and physically strong, it's about doing the responsible and manly things to make sure your family is well provided for.

So when they ask "Quienes mas macho?", we can respond, "Badpenguin is mas macho" smiley-wink

And indeed, your wife sounds like a special sweetheart to recognize that with that gift back to you.

Good story, well worth the read. And don't move off to Belize quite yet, we'll need you in the next election. :cool:

Archived