Check out songs from my latest metal album

mbengs1

• Members

I was pretty content with the songs. but i'm open to suggestions or help from a producer. but in the end, i have to agree that the change is for the best. but i don't think i will really change anything that is on record already. :cool12:

• Members

Well as a personal collection, it is whatever you see in it. If you want to market that kind of music, the writing needs lots of work. The backing parts for instance have to be razor tight for starters - I'll say, "like Winger" as an arbitrary example. And then they need to be hip in an intelligent way. That means minimum on cliches and max on hooks that actually hook. You'll also find the further you go refining the actual tracks, the greater the potential for interesting leads and decoration.

• Members

Ok, you asked.....

Production wise, guitars sounded fine, bass, if there was one, was very buried in the mix. Drums needed to be a spread out, and have some sparkle to them. I know they were canned drums, so a little production was needed on them alone.

Playing ability, you know how to play. You memorized Shredding 101, and you played the riff per rout. Sounded mechanical, without much feeling. The tone of the guitars were that of Line 6- program 11.

Composition, I heard this stuff back in the 80's. Every riff, every change, fell along the proper formula lines, without much creativity. Again, it sounded as if it was directly taken from Shredding 101 with an introduction to Shredding 201.

Yeah, I know, kinda harsh. BUT, you have ability, you have the tools, you have the chops. STOP trying to copy things, and be yourself. Stop trying to sound like Satch, and sound like yourself.

• Members

Thanks for checking my songs out. It's my take on metal music. I can't riff like james hetfield or dimebag darrel but i try to do my own thing. Those two tracks are from my 10 song all instrumental metal album. I will post some more off the album in the near future.

• Members

Well. I do live sound for a living and record and produce projects as a hobby. I don't do a lot of metal, but some here and there, and I've listened to a ton of metal throughout my life/career.

The first track has some merit, but it doesn't really go anywhere. If you're going to do instrumental metal, you need to really tell a story with it. You should really enlist the help of a rhythm section. The drums were boring and uninspired even for canned drums. Having somebody who actually plays program your drums can bring some life into them. As it is, it sounds like a late 80's video game soundtrack. The bass was non-existent or just playing root notes and buried in the mix. Again, having some movement with the bass and being able to hear it would bring something interesting to the music. The rhythm guitar sounded like it had too much gain going on and got over-compressed. Just flat, with no dynamics whatsoever. Your lead playing is good, but it just doesn't carry a 4.5 minute song.

Much the same for the ballad, but there was some horrible editing happening in that one that made it sound completely amateur.

I even listened to whatever autoplayed after. It sounded pretty much the same as the first song.

• Members

If this is indeed Mbengs playing, I admit he's a better player than I imagined. Not bad at all.

I'm in no position to critique his music, though. I know what it's like to put yourself out there and get mainly negative input from others, even if I'm confident and like the material. Other guitarists generally come from a different background than me. They're not trying to emulate Brian Eno and Ryuichi Sakamoto, so they don't necessarily even have a point of reference for my genre. Sometimes sharing your music is like walking into a Jewish temple with the New Testament and saying, "Hey guys, what do you think of this?" That's a weird analogy, but it gives you insight into my experience as a musician.

If you want to create your own songs and albums, do it for yourself. The people who will appreciate you come later.

• Members

lol u said satch... when it comes to just playing a straight ahead melody with searing lead guitar is there any other way to go? he's the most popular instrumentalist. malmsteen maybe, but i can't play malmsteen that much. so satch and eddie with a little classic rock influence is what i can do better.

• Members

Have to say, it takes a lot to put yourself out there, and ask for criticism and/or praise. That being said, you are definitely a lead player. Leads were clean, for the most part, well done! On the first song. The ballad - leads sounded like they were, at times, middle/bridge section, forced into the mix. Beginning/end leads sounded well thought out - executed very nicely. The rhythm, in both, for the most part sounds like an afterthought, something there to fill a gap. Drums- same. Post-production work, or maybe find a local drummer to overdub. Im not a drummer, a producer, a singer, or a bass player, so those things have to come from someone else if the song is to sound it's absolute best.

Thank you for sharing your work man. I enjoyed it, and look forward to hearing more from MBengs.

Archived