Show me your blonds

Freeman Keller

• Members

Starting a new guitar and I'm thinking down the road about finish and details. It will be a 17 inch hollow body electric in the style of an ES-175 (except Venetian cutaway). The back and sides are maple with pretty good flame, the top is spruce with nice tight lines. Probably a mahogany neck altho I could make a maple one. The wood has enough character that it would look good almost any color (including a tobacco burst) but I'm thinking that a blond might have more fun.

If I go with blond or amber I have my choice of ebony or rosewood for fretboard, head plate, pick guard and some little trim details. I could bind it in whatever wood I use for the f/b and headplate, however I'd kind of like to bind the f-holes and that is really hard to do in wood. I could make the f-holes some modern shape that would be easier to bind. I could also do multiple laminations of black and white like lots of the old archtops. Floating bridge and tailpiece - maybe wood to match.

I gave away the tele for a fund raising and I'm down to just the LP for electrics so I'll probably keep this one. We were so impressed with the Benedetto pickup that we used in the 335 that I'll probably put one of them in the neck - thats way down the line but just thinking.

So, anyway, show me your blonds - particularly jazz boxes if you've got one.

• Members

here are mine two blonds:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31836076[/ATTACH]

and here is a righty version of my les paul, which i saw on ebay and started dreaming about, before i even have known that mine exists, once mine showed up on ebay i had to pull the trigger, which was over ten years ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31836077[/ATTACH]

• Members
The only blonde guitar I own

It came from NYC and cost me 400 bucks, back in the day.

fetch?filedataid=119624fetch?filedataid=119625

48th street? I remember going there with a friend to pick up a rickenbacker bass at manny's music back in the day. Midtown Manhattan was not the Disneyland it is now... It was quite sketchy back then.

• Members
All types of blondes...fake' date=' dirty, strawberry, accented, etc.[/quote']

Agreed. Ratae's example is what I'd call "platinum blond." That said, lots of sweet looking guitars here. Closest thing I have is a butterscotch bass. One side note to t_e_l_e: I'm glad you like your guitars but I just can't get into a maple fretboard on a LP.

• Members

All types of blondes...fake, dirty, strawberry, accented, etc.

50 shades of blond, eh?

Thank for all the help - some very pretty guitars out there.

I won't be making the final decision for quite a while but I do need to get some materials ordered so I kind of need a goal in mind. Since this will be an archtop looking thing right now I think I will bind it in flamed maple with one thin black purfling line on the top and side of the binding. I'm leaning towards rosewood for all the trim, mainly because I've got a bunch of it. Of course all of this might change and I might do a tobacco brown sunburst or even paint it red LOL.

When I get ready for finish I'll post a picture and we can have one more little discussion.

• Members

One side note to t_e_l_e: I'm glad you like your guitars but I just can't get into a maple fretboard on a LP.

:D

i know, most of the people think so

i guess i thought so myself, but when i saw the pic of the righty first time, something made click inside of me. and most important i don't like it on "every" les paul, for me its gorgeous with the mape natural top, but it really does not fit to a black or a burst.

also the color of the maple is important, when gibson started doing maple fretboardsbagain the last couple of years,

they were bright shiny whitish uhhh :(

and not the yellowish golden glow mine has

in short i like it only on my guitar and on any other les paul i would want a dark fretboard :)

Archived