1992 Peavey Predator USA

vonrang

• Members

Hmmm.....Crafted in the USA with Chinese electronics and tuning machine heads. This 1992 Peavey Predator (USA) received a set of sealed Gotoh style tuners, double roller string-tree, GFS Lil' Killer rail humbucker pickups at neck and bridge, GFS 10K True Coil noiseless high output single coil in the middle position. A 500K push pull pot for coil splitting. A 500K push pull pot for a master tone wired 50's style using a .047 polyester capacitor in the down position and a Sprague .022 Orange Drop capacitor in the up position. An in-guitar Antec effects board with boost, overdrive and two types of distortion, plus true bypass. The Antec board is powered by a Fishman 9v battery tremolo cover that is rechargeable. Oh yeah, this guitar was entirely outfitted with spare parts on hand. It sounds very good with all of the new guts (yes, I do know where GFS pickups come from)! The four screw tremolo (vibrato) tailpiece could stand an upgrade to a fully floated Schaller Floyd Rose unit. A Fender LSR roller nut wouldn't be bad a bad addition either.

ed94bb47ded83ac0de915cf8ca649685.thumb.jpg.ab48ce889d9620176bdec4be5c617af7.jpg

b5b51842ffca378410ce9c5eace7851e.thumb.png.55da1d85e22128810142de333416a49d.png

• Members

I owned two. The first was a blonde with non-stock h-s-h pickups and a wornout neck. I put in a Squier set of SSS and a neck from a Squier '51. Ended up trading it for something.

My second was a white one that sounded great, but looked so ugly. I also traded that one.

Later, I had a great MIA bass that had the most incredible neck.

They're not even on par with a basis MIM Fender in terms of build quality. However, some locals swear by them.

• Members
I owned two. The first was a blonde with non-stock h-s-h pickups and a wornout neck. I put in a Squier set of SSS and a neck from a Squier '51. Ended up trading it for something.

My second was a white one that sounded great, but looked so ugly. I also traded that one.

Later, I had a great MIA bass that had the most incredible neck.

They're not even on par with a basis MIM Fender in terms of build quality. However, some locals swear by them.

I know. USA Predators were a mixed bag, so to speak. Some were great and others not so much. When I got this thing used, it was in the not so much side of the column. Dirty, abused and when strung up and setup sounded very dull with the stock electronics. However, the wood on this one is good and resonates very well. Everything was in need of clean-up and care, frets, neck, electronics cavity (how does dirt get in there?), but it turned into a great sounding playable guitar for very little money and time.

• Members

Well, I'm glad that you found a good MIA PV Predator, coz, I never have run into one yet that was anything beyond sufficient.

PV's high-endish MIA geetars of the past 15 years or so are usually quite excellent. But, the bargain basement MIA stuff from the 1980s and 1990s seemed to rarely occupy such a lofty position in the geetar kingdom. These were all CNC-manufactured guitars, back when making guitar bodies and necks via a CNC mill was something new and advanced.

• Members

I've got a Peavey Reactor I've hung onto since somewhere back in the 90s. It was $225 new plus tax. I partly still hang onto it with the sentiment of "how cool is that, a MIA guitar for 2 Benjamins". But as far as where the electronics and hardware are made, I dunno. But at the time I bought it over a Squier because the Squier had a laminate/plywood body and the PV was solid wood.

But I've thought that guitar is truly decent playing/sounding but the tuners are the weakest components, just too chunky when trying to fine tune. But I've been hanging onto that guitar for "someday" plans to do some cosmetic (black abalone pick-guard) hardware (tuners) and electronic (pickups) upgrades. I left it with an ex-GF for a while, and after I moved on, and she did too, it seemed to gather a ding or too from her following suitors, but i eventually got it back so it's now got some "history marks". LOL

Reactor.jpg

• Members

Well, I do own a 1984 Peavey T60 that is in great shape. The T60 is a most excellent, tonally versatile and well made guitar.

Yes, sufficient is a very good description for the Peavey Predator.

I just looked at the stock tuners, stock pickup and harness and immediately noticed the quality similarities with a Chinese made Starcaster!

Archived