Recommend me some pickups?

MarvelUndies

• Members

Not so long ago, I bought a '94 Washburn Mercury II. It's a great looking guitar, but I find it suffers from the same problem that my last Washburn (a 1988 KC-40V) had: it just wasn't meaty enough. It could be that I've been spoilt since then with high output Ibanez and Les Pauls, but I feel that a pickup swap is in order.

It's a HSS layout with a coil tap that I'd like to keep. Leaning towards a set of DiMarzios with the possibility of a single sized humbucker in the neck. Definitely going to be keeping the original pickups for a different guitar, but I would like this one made suitable for my band project. Trying to branch out from just using RGs and the Washburn gives me the same playability without the hassle of the Floyd Rose.

And just because pictures:

20160729_204905.jpg

• Members

I'd be careful, buddy. You're not far off changing my mind there! I have a set of unidentified Duncans in my unidentified Charvel, one humbucker and one single sized rail humbucker, which I really love the sound of. I'm loathed to transplant them since the Charvel is a great guitar as it is, though it would be great if I knew what the pickups were. Perhaps if I peruse the old Jackson/Charvel archive and product catalogue I can find a spec sheet for the year of manufacture? Got it narrowed down to 1988 and imported from Japan

Archived