Fender Princeton Chorus and Cyber Deluxe

jtr654

• Members

The scary thing is I own Pro Juniors ( great Amps)and they probably cost less then both those amps. You'ld think after 50 years that they could build a SS amp that sounded a bit better but NO the put every FX they can think of to mask how bad their amp sounds. Leo would come out of the Grave if he heard these amp with his Name on it.

• Members

I played a Princeton chorus at an impromptu jam about a year ago & honestly didn't think it was terrible. I think they made a couple of different versions of this though. Maybe we're not comparing apples to apples (the one I played was a red knob version & it had 2 speakers in it).

Just played it clean though- I've never found older solid state amps to have good built in overdrive.

• Members

I thought, once upon a time, that the Fender Princeton Chorus was a pretty good sounding amp for the money, no?

Now I'm talking more than 20 years ago, but I thought that was one of those amps that cost around 200 or so (amps were significantly more expensive back then [adjusted for inflation] due to origin and more quality components).

But yeah, it seems like somewhere between the late 80s to beginning of the 90s that was a pretty good amp and are now somewhat collectible. One of those that I used to think that would have been a much better first amp for me than my Sunn Stinger 60. But they were very much voiced for the classic Fender Black Face tone (on a budget) so they were fairly good for surfy vibey tones.

• Members
It always bugged me that they took a great little tube amp (Princeton) and released a POS ss amp using it's name.

Why should this bug you? It's just marketing. You're the consumer. If you don't like it don't buy it- Apparently a lot of people didn't like them. If they did they would still be making them.

• Members

I hear you. It's not that I'm not fussy about my sound. I just stopped messing around and dropped a bunch of money I couldn't afford on my ideal 2 channel amp and that was it.

All of my tonal tweaking is guitar settings, effects, amp settings, and mic placement. ...and playing style.

I'll admit there are times when a more specific Vox or Fender sound would be perfect, but those are fringe for me.

Archived