I love everything about the Les Paul Junior except the body shape... and I only want to spend $200

ltgunkel

• Members

My perfect guitar is basically a Les Paul Junior (mahogany throughout, set neck, hardtail bridge, P90s all the way) with a Strat-style neck and body (easier for me to play).

I've been looking and looking and can't find anything set up like this. The closest I've found is a Strat-o-sonic, but that's still a bolt-on neck and a lot of $$$.

I don't need a name brand guitar. If the pickups and hardware are cheap I'll do the work and update them later on. I just really want this set-up.

Any ideas on where to find a no-name guitar that's built like this?

Alternatively, even a guitar described above set up in an HH style would be fine, as I can get some GFS humbucker-sized P90s and switch them out.

Thanks!

• Members

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a Strat style neck (is it a matter of profile/radius/scale length?), but I have a Gould Les Paul Goldtop copy that's equipped with P90s and made entirely of mahogany, if that's at all close to what you'd be looking for? I haven't found anything about it that I don't like, and I don't think they're very expensive at all.

Disregard my misunderstanding. I need to learn to read.

Peruse the Vintage range if you can get them where you are, or look into Xaviere guitars on Guitarfetish. I'm sure they'll have something for you.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Yep, set neck hard tail strat with P90s is exactly right. I haven't seen one either. That Schecter Tempest looks pretty good - definitely close to what I like. I just like the feel of a strat body/neck, but the sound of a LP Junior.

• Members
The Schecter Tempest Special P90 comes to mind if you can find a used one:

fetch?filedataid=119796

I saw one on the local (St. Louis) CraigsList for under $200 a while back.

That was one of my first electric guitars and should never have sold it. If you can find one cheap, that's awesome!

In fact, any used tempest could work, just put in humbucker sized P90's. The older ones had thicker necks and were better, IMO.

• Members
My perfect guitar is basically a Les Paul Junior (mahogany throughout' date=' set neck, hardtail bridge, P90s all the way) with a Strat-style neck and body (easier for me to play)... [/quote']

...and I'm guessing 25.5-inch scale as well.

If that's the case, I've never seen anything but the no-longer-available Fender Stratosonic that had those specifications. There have been several and still are a few Tele style geetars that have all of that, but they have the standard Tele single cutaway body.

stratosonic1.jpg

75d036306f6447f818ac0122908c2c84.jpg

• Members

I'm gonna suggest a Vintage VRS series, providing you can get them where you are. I've had two of them and rather liked them, except they felt a bit small for me. They're basically PRS copies with set necks and hard tail bridges. Not sure if there's a sub model that comes equipped with P90s, but usually they have dual humbuckers and some have a coil tap

• Members
I'm gonna suggest a Vintage VRS series' date=' providing you can get them where you are. [/quote']

The (UK) Vintage brand is indeed available on both sides of the great pond.

As for the original poster, I think he just needs to suck it up and go with a nice P90'd bolt-on POS. boink.gif

Otherwise, it's going to be commissioning someone to build an expensive set-in neck Strat-o-like.

• Members

Fender did a mahogany set net tele with twin humbucker and carved top. Not sure how much they fetch 2nd hand.

I recently had a washburn Idol WI66 Pro G. Sort of telecaster shape, set neck, mahogany throughout and noiseless P90. Great guitar. Straight neck too, not angled like most LP.

I bought it for £150, but sold it for quite a bit more, so prices vary.

• Members

Fender TC 90. So it's a double cut Tele thin line with P90's and a set neck. I think it's not mahogany either. Maybe ash or alder? Basically you're looking for all these very specific features that aren't commonly found together on a guitar and you want to pay nothing for it. Good luck!

• Members

Would that be the Korean made Telecaster FMT? The originals from around 2006 fetch about £500-£600, and the reissue from 2012 onwards goes for around the same.

My dad has one, but doesn't like it much. That's just down to his preference, though. They're excellent guitars and very comfortable to play, plus those gorgeous Duncan humbuckers are equipped with a coil tap

Archived