What do you get when you cross a solidbody electric and a classical guitar?

Phil O'Keefe

It's apparently mating season for classical and electric guitars. Some of their family members and associates may not approve, and it's not for everyone, but it's definitely something interesting, and IMHO, rather cool.

Check out the review of the Cort Sunset Nylectric to see just what the heck I'm talking about...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/cort-sunset-nylectric

• Members
It's apparently mating season for classical and electric guitars. Some of their family members and associates may not approve, and it's not for everyone, but it's definitely something interesting, and IMHO, rather cool.

Check out the review of the Cort Sunset Nylectric to see just what the heck I'm talking about...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/cort-sunset-nylectric

I'd say you get Chet Atkins Nylon String Electric,which Gibson describes as a solid body acoustic.http://archive.gibson.com/Press/acoustics/ce_cec.html

• Members

I agree with Mikeo - this is a lot like the Gibson Chet Atkins. It sounds very similar to me from that video too.

Not my thing - sort of sounds like a crappy classical or a Fender Telecoustic to me. I can see where some might find them useful for live, but that's too much of a compromise to me.

Pretty dumb having that bizarre label/sticker thing on the controls. It makes it look like it's got a little pickguard or something.

Sorry about that! :0

I could have pulled it off just for the pictures, but the guitar is just a review unit loaner - I have to send it back when I'm finished with it, and while I do use the things and test them thoroughly, I do try to treat them decently and take care of them while I have them - as I do with all equipment. :)

The bolt-on neck kind of bothers me' date=' along with the access panel in the back...but they do come in black :cool: , so it has that going for it. I guess I will have to go find one to try, as I never trust audio samples on demo vids.[/quote']

I thought the bolt-on would bother me too, but it never was an issue at all - and I went all over that neck for at least a half hour a day for several weeks.

I agree with Mikeo - this is a lot like the Gibson Chet Atkins. It sounds very similar to me from that video too.

That's a very reasonable point.

As I think I mentioned in the review, way back in the 80s I used to have a Hohner TWP Classic N that was basically a copy of the Chet Atkins CE - there's definitely precedent for the Cort Sunset Nylectric, and it certainly isn't the first chambered solidbody nylon string, but it's a well done one at a pretty darned reasonable price.... and for those who aren't familiar with the CE (or the TWP Classic N), it's an interesting type of guitar that can give you nylon string tones live, while being considerably easier to transition to than the typical wide-neck classical guitar.

Not my thing - sort of sounds like a crappy classical or a Fender Telecoustic to me. I can see where some might find them useful for live, but that's too much of a compromise to me.

It's a chambered solidbody, so it's not going to compete acoustically with a full-sized classical guitar, although I was impressed with the unplugged sound when sitting around playing it. It sounds a heck of a lot less synthetic and "plastic" than a Telecoustic. FWIW, the demo tone on the video is brighter than it need be IMHO - the guitar can easily be adjusted to sound considerably warmer than what you hear there when going through an amp or running direct to the board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I remember trying a strat shaped solid guitar with nylon strings in the mid 90s, so the concept is definitely not new, but that shouldn't take away anything from this guitar. They are rarities, and I find it difficult to adjust quickly from an electric neck to a classical neck, so those definitely fit that niche market.

I remember that strat type nyelectric was great too. Bet that one is good too!

As far as the battery compartment comments, I don't really get it. They have made it easily accessible, and the back of the guitar is only functional really.

And as for set neck, screwed neck...... A Well made guitar is a well made guitar. Screwed or set, if well made, isn't an issue.

If it is an issue, we can rejoice in a huge strat / tele bonfire.

• Members
The string tension on classical strings isnt like steel stringed instruments, they don't need to compensate for intonation.

If you've ever owned a classical guitar, they all have a straight bridge saddle from E to E, and no intonation issues.

So that isn't a problem.

Actually, I owned a classical guitar for several years and I've played a few others, although I'm primarily a steel string guy. The saddle on a classical is sometimes compensated, as in these examples:

fetch?filedataid=120153

fetch?filedataid=120154

You'll note that it's the G that has the most compensation. However, the guitar under discussion has a standard steel string saddle with the B compensated, which is a potential recipe for poor intonation. IMHO, the fact that Phil didn't hear anything amiss is a good sign but the use of the wrong saddle bespeaks shortcuts.

• Members
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Interesting as an experiment though.

I agree with bluesman . You don't listen to a classical with your ear on the bridge. In this the sound never sees airspace so is unshaped by a soundbox

You'd be surprised how many people fit a piezo to their classical and use that live. Much more practical than a mic around the sound box, as it allows you to move without the mic level dropping.

• Members

Must admit I've never seen any of those before, and I've been lucky enough to old in my hand some master luthier built classical guitars that cost more than my LP, Vigier and my 3 orange amps together.......

Compared to a 3 saddle bridge tele, or a stop tail bridge only LP, the issue you highlight on classical guitars is almost non existent.

I'm not saying the bridges yiu have shown pictures of are pointless, just not particularly needed IMO.

• Members

I finally clicked on this thread, and to be honest, after clicking of the video, my first impression was " < meh"

Now at least this guitar has "affordable" going for it, so it would be good for a comfy practice guitar, but it just sounds so weak in the "resonance" and "depth" departments. I just think if it's weak there, it doesn't fit the bill for a classical guitar. Maybe I'd feel different if I heard one in person (?)

I can be a big fan of cheap guitars, but my axe for this application is the Cordoba FCWE "Gypsy King" and at the time I was drawn to the Gibson Chet Atkins SST, but became convinced the Cordoba, although not cheap either (cost me around $1,250 13 years ago), was a better value and better sounding instrument. I think I'd hunt for a used Epiphone version of the Chet Atkins SST before I lept for this model. And again, although I have a significant number of inexpensive electric guitars in my collection, an acoustic guitar, even a slimline electric version, should sound more acoustic. Well, at least it does do a good job of capturing the tone of the nylon strings, and again, for the price, it would be a good home practice guitar. Damn, I hate sounding like a cork sniffer, and maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but the demo video gave me this reaction.

DONOTWANT.jpg

Archived