Strings and Things Customs from early '80's.

Jim Creasy

• Members

I'd like to get some feedback here. I have 2 Strings and Things Customs from the early '80's. Both the Bluesmaster. One in Honey Burst and one in Tobacco Burst. Both have rosewood fretboards and great necks. Both bodies have been ridden hard and put away wet. Tobacco Burst has original pick ups and coil tapping, Honey Burst has been changed out to some manner of Tele. One pickguard is original but chipped. The other is a re-cut and slightly incorrect. (No new screw holes). I'd say condition on both is B-. Some rusty screws and stuff. Knobs are Tele instead of dome tops.

I am thinking of having both bodies restored by refinish, a nice set of Tele pickups and an acoustic bridge in one, and putting the originals back in the other, some nice, vintage pearloid pickguards, fresh control knobs and screws and just a general clean-up with nice G & G cases.

The market on these is so spotty, and some people are paying ridiculous money for them, but I just don't see them going crazy in value, but am I destroying value/originality? I'd have the work done by top notch guys and I'd like to keep the original bodies with the "T.K" initials and build dates in the neck pockets. Maybe, it'd be better to have replacement bodies made and build up from there? Maybe I should try and reach out to current company to see if they'd do that, but I'm guessing that would be a non-starter. (Changed hands like 3 times now).

Any feedback appreciated.

JKC

• Members

Value is really only important if you plan to sell it someday. Some people actually pay money to make a nice guitar look like it's old and beat up.

So do what ever makes you happy. Just remember,it's only original once.

• Members

In the acoustic world any refinishing work on older guitars immediately destroys much of the value - I think it is a little more accepted with electrics. In addition, it is hard to do - if you do decide to do it be prepared to pay very dearly. Bursts are sometimes stains applied to the wood, sometimes done in the finish, sometimes a combination - make sure your refinisher knows exactly what she is doing. If you are going to refinish them then you need to do everything else (frets, pups, all the trim) or its just going to look weird.

How about posting a couple of pictures? And, before I forget my manners, Jim, welcome to HCEG.

Archived