Justin Bieber is the only current true rock icon.

billybilly

• Members

You know, his latest music doesn't totally suck...

In actuality, he's talented. There's a video of him at age 12 mimicking August Rush on the guitar, and he's a good drummer too. Unfortunately, he'll never escape his terrible past of mediocre music and pretentious behavior. If his early music was listenable, he'd have the rock star image down.

• Members

The comment I've made at home about "such types" is that I think it's very hard to predict how you, yourself, would react to such fame and fan adoration at such a young age. You may remain grounded, or you can end up being a megalomanic like Tom Cruise, or worse, like Justin Bieber.

Even when I was a youngster, I had no interest in the pop idols. There was just too much other good music to enjoy. But his routine of being a pint size tough guy surrounded by mammoth body guards removes any curiosity I could possibly muster regarding his "art" I frankly think Selena Gomez could give him a well deserved azz-whoopin

smiley-wink

• Members

He's mostly a media manifestation. There have been many in pop history. The Monkeys were a classic example of a media generated pop group. They were air musicians made for television described as "initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band ... that wanted to be The Beatles, [but] that was never successful" They didn't even record their own instruments in the beginning only contributing limited guitar work. Later they were actually allowed to record and live up to all the hype.

This guy falls into that same category as having all the hype before he's earned it musically. He's a pop icon not a musical icon. That may change when he gets older and finds his sex appeal to teens has died off and been taken by someone else. He'll either become a good musician people can respect or self destruct like so many, who follow the pop wave have in the past.

I'd say he's half way down the tubes now, but its hard to know. He may be smarter then we think and is simply milking the pop culture for the cash playing a role, or he may actually believe he's a reincarnated James Dean living the life of rebel and wind up ending his career under similar circumstances.

• Members

Beiber's success didn't come from a TV show like the Monkees or Miley Cyrus. He had videos of him performing on Youtube, and it wasn't a sponsored channel or something a producer came up with. He grew up learning several instruments and there's plenty of evidence that he's a gifted musician on Youtube.

I'm not a fan, but to put him in the same category as manufactured pop stars simply isn't accurate. Is his image made up like any other popular musician or actor? Yes. But he didn't start in the same vein as the Monkees.

• Members
Beiber's success didn't come from a TV show like the Monkees or Miley Cyrus. He had videos of him performing on Youtube, and it wasn't a sponsored channel or something a producer came up with. He grew up learning several instruments and there's plenty of evidence that he's a gifted musician on Youtube.

I'm not a fan, but to put him in the same category as manufactured pop stars simply isn't accurate. Is his image made up like any other popular musician or actor? Yes. But he didn't start in the same vein as the Monkees.

Of course not. The factories that created pop stars in the past don't exist like they did. You had recording companies, Broadcasting and movie companies who created those pop stars.

The media today is very different and so the method of becoming a pop star has changed but the end results are exactly the same. My point is about popularity overshadowing musical skill and how this kind of popularity with teens is nothing new.

Every generation has its bad boy pop stars. I can list hundreds. The difference between a Bieber and a Jim Morrison however is the Doors were pretty good musicians before the pop image kicked in, and they continued make some great albums till the band fell apart.

As I said that might change if the man is planning on building a future for himself. He wont have that pop appeal once his rear end starts sagging and the next generation finds a new pop star their age. He'll have to decide now if he plans on actually being remembered for the music he leaves behind, or his persona as a bad boy in the media.

I can guarantee you, those who have the great music as a foundation will be remembered long after they are gone. Those who over indulge in pop and don't have the good music as a foundation for their popularity are quickly forgotten because they are no more then a bunch of media snippets.

Becoming rich and becoming legendary are two different things. Money and popularity are both fluid. You can loose it just as quickly as you gain it. Music is a sliver of youth that's preserved as long as people play it and they will only play it when its worth listening to.

You can play a piece of good music that stands the test of time. The musicians popularity can die but the music will continued to be remembered and appreciated. Study the great masters from hundreds of years ago and their lives. They had their pop stars too. Some like Frederic Chopin was a superstar during his day and would make women in the audience faint. He did write great music however and has been remembered for nearly 200 years because of that.

Being remembered because of your popularity doesn't usually last very long. The generation that likes him will find others and move on. If you get 10 years he'll be one of the lucky ones. Unless there's some biographical movie done on him he wont be remembered beyond that. He'll simply be a collection of media snippets forgotten in the files of the news stations and internet servers.

• Members

i don`t think beiber has written anything of any credibility otherwise i think i would have heard it by now .i wonder what will happen with the likes of ed sheeren ,pharrell williams and robin thicke ripping off marvin gaye tunes ,not only should they pay a lump sum to the estate of marvin gaye but the writers credits on the songs should be changed to also include the name of marvin gaye ,so future generations understand who wrote these tunes and how they came about.

• Members

It's funny... I made an ironic thread about Taylor Swift a couple of years ago and people flipped. I consider her much less talented than Beiber.

But you can't change the image people hold in their minds, especially those of older generations. They'll always see Beiber as the kid who sang "Baby," and tried so hard to appear like a man, but they'll always see Taylor Swift as the country starlet who Kanye made cry.

Nevermind that Billy is making a satirical joke, of course. We have to put the Beiber punching bag in his place.

• Members

I haven't had a radio or music system in 20 years. I couldn't tell you if I've ever heard the guy, or anyone else for that matter, in that time frame. Last year I finally put together a home system, including turntable, and the music my wife and kids brought home dated to the late 60s, early 70's. One son is 23 and the other is 17 and between them they found LPs for Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, Cat Stevens, CSN&Y, Gordon Lightfoot, Elton John, some Motown and others. No blues, no country, no pop, no classical, no jazz and nothing currently charting. But, the music was played only enough to get it loaded into their gadgets and it all went into storage. Personally speaking, I play guitar when I want to hear music.

I don't feel deficit at all, having reached a level of musical masturbation, but just looking at Beiber/Bieber/Beeber/whatever doesn't get my curiosity about his music piqued. But, I'm shallow like that. You couldn't get me to even try grits based solely on it's looks. He looks like grits: soft, mushy, no substance and quite possibly tasteless.

• Members
You couldn't get me to even try grits based solely on it's looks. He looks like grits: soft' date=' mushy, no substance and quite possibly tasteless.[/quote']

You've got to think of grits as a somewhat healthier (corn) substitute for hash brown potatoes with your "over easy" to medium fried eggs and then they start to make some sense (but not to my wife), but I can't make any sense out of Bieber other than pre- and teenage girls. But yeah, I am of the older generation, but was never drawn to pop stars, just rock stars and other well accomplished musicians.

Regarding another post above about Bieber vs Taylor Swift, well, I'm no fan of either, it's just not my style of entertainment, but my hat is off to anyone who can be as prolific a song writer as Taylor Swift, rather it be tripe or not. It sells and earns her lots of Music Awards, so there's no doubt that she's got a formidable base of fans. Just seems like more folks relate to her than "The Bieb"

• Members

Most of Swift's tunes are co-written. In "Country," there's no telling how much the artist actually contributes. There's nothing wrong with not writing all of your own material, because artists like Glen Campbell and Elvis pulled it off very well. But people make too much out of Swift supposedly writing her own material and Beiber being a teeny bopper pop act.

All that being said, I can't tell you if Beiber ever wrote a single word of his own songs. Doesn't really matter to me.

• Members

After actually thinking about your point, I'm inclined to agree with you. It's just a shame that he's about 30 or 40 (or even 50 or 60) years late to that party. Y'know... Back when the lifestyle was considered cool and not just about a bunch of narcissists with drug habits and a penchant for deplorable behaviour. In all honesty, we the public consumers have gone soft. Bring back Lemmy, and he shall show us the way.

Archived