Any of you guys use Snarling Dogs Picks?

steve_man

• Members

Last week, a good friend of mine and I were leading worship at a camp in Prague. It was pretty muggy there, and my arms were sweating more than usual. Rarely do I drop picks, but I kept alternating between Dunlop and Fender Medium confetti picks. They just kept flying out of my hands for some reason. My friend handed me one of his Snarling Dog picks, and I was impressed by the grip on them. Very hard to drop, for sure. Only problem was that he likes thinner picks than I do. So, I looked up the thickness for a Fender Medium and ordered the corresponding thickness (.73 mm Red) Snarling Dogs. Have not tried them in a live setting yet, but they seem a bit more flexible than a normal celluloid pick would. Should I have purchased a thicker gauge?

• Members

I've used Dunlop nylon picks for acoustic for decades and I started using DAVA nylons for electric a couple of years ago. They definitely have a different feel due to the flexibility of the material. Snarling Dogs may simply not be for you in any thickness but there are others you could try. Everly Star Picks are similar to Fender picks with a small star shaped hole in the middle. You could also take a knife and score the surface of the pick so it has some grip.

fetch?filedataid=119379

• Members

The nylon picks I've tried feel flabby to me too. I tend to shred them too, but I'm pretty brutal on just about any picks.

As far as dropping them, hands get fatigued and sometimes you just don't know it. You may have slept on that arm the night before and cut down the blood flow. I have problems with that happening. I play so many hours then baby my left hand as it heals and forget the right hand needs healing too.

• Members

Buy some more! They are my fave. I only buy their 1.14mm which for some odd reason is their thickest pick I can find. They are still a hair more flexible than I would normally use (actually, I prefer picks with no flex unless I'm just playing rhythm) but I really like the feel of them. Very good control, no slip and long wear. What's more to love? I know a lot of folks love the Dunlop Jazz, but I like these better since there's more to hang on to.

• Members
You could also take a knife and score the surface of the pick so it has some grip.

It's easier and you are generally better off just using medium grit sandpaper to rough up the grip area of a celluloid pick. Just sand back and forth in one direction across the grip area of the pick on both sides for a couple of seconds and you are done. I use wet 100 grit wet-or-dry carborundum sandpaper wrapped around a flat file. Works like a charm.

• Members

The SD picks grippy part is actually mini-nubs that create a slightly raised surface (with less raised surface dead center) so the pick is actually a bit thicker where you grasp it. It gives the pick a more engineered feel, like more than just a stamped out sheet of plastic, it makes the pick feel a bit more like a sectional tool. As I mentioned above, they are my favorite pick (i.e. the 1.14) but I wouldn't mind if they also made a stiffer version, but I think the 1.14 is a good all-around pick for banging out a chord progression or picking out a lead or alternate picking. I'd probably still grab a Dunlop Stubbie though if I were working on my tremolo picking (ala "Misirlou"), but OTOH, the material used in the SD pickups maintains a smooth feel and glide across the strings, so even for a pick with some moderate flex, I don't have too much trouble with it getting hung up - and of course, when I mention "getting hung up" I'm also referring to the contributions of my less than stellar flat picking skills.

• Members

love the grip of them, but I got the 1.14 picks in, and they absolutely KILL the sound... really strange. Pick with a normal celluloid and it sounds great, full, with plenty of highs. Switch to the SD picks, and the tone is dull, lifeless, and absolutely kills the highs. Going back to Amazon.

• Members

Funny, I just happened to be thinking about "picks" the other day and thinking about the tonal diff between the celluloids and the nylons. Indeed celluloid picks have a crisper attack, but I like the control and wear of the SDs. I usually pick with my fingers/nails, so any pick has a sharper sounding attack to my ears. ;^) I don't have any trouble popping the pinch harmonics with them.

Archived