Les Paul tops

• Moderators

Some years back we had a very epic thread about a blacktop Les Paul...many of you will remember ;)

Gibson have been make some boldish decisions lately about some of their top colour, both solid and transparent over figure.

I'm a lifelong fan of the cherry red 335, but I'd love to see a 335 with a cherry top and and a nice caramel back.

Wine red is another one I like, but they generally tend to be the same on the back....so I did a bit of digging around, and aftre cleaning up with a box of strong tissues thought I'd throw this out there.

15767_57_Les_Paul_Candy_Apple_Red_72919_1.jpg

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/15767/Gibson-Custom-Shop-57-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Candy-Apple-Red-/

But there ain't many round

7%2815%29.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a fan of Ratae's first example, the mahogany is too light. My main acoustic has a burst top over light mahogany back and sides and the black edges just don't look right next to the light mahogany. I generally don't like solid colored tops except black, I prefer some figuring. WRGKMC's first example is quite nice though.

• Members

Wow, what a blast from the past. I remember that Blacktop thread, the first three or four pics of that blacktop were amazing. If I remember correctly, was that not a rebuild thread? A red Les Paul Supreme if memory serves

What was that 5 years ago?

D

• Members

This is my 40th anniversary model I bought new back in 1991. There were only 300 made and its value has already doubled.

Its a semi translucent ebony black finish and has an ebony fret board Its a heavy MF**R at 11lbs too.

Black is a very difficult color to keep clean. Any finger smudges show up when light is reflected off it and black doesn't age as well as other colors do. I had enough money to buy just about any guitar I wanted. I really wanted a Firebird but the new ones I tried were junk. I tried a bunch of Paul's, Customs, Standards. This one had the best wood tone when I put my ear to the body. It does look sweet with the cream and gold though.

DSCN5005.jpg

Archived