Ok, the jury is in.....

badpenguin

• Members

Hey all, a while ago I posted about my JB Player Professional tele clone. great guitar, with EMG Tele pickups, and I said that the jury was still out on the pickups.

Well, after a dozen gigs, and lots of practice time, the jury returned and HATED the EMGs. I can't like them. Teles are supposed to have a raw bite to them, a little anger to drive the amp, and this subtle but needed growl. The EMGs lack all of that. The initial attack was missing, and they are just too clean for my ears and playing style.

So I will be posting them on feebay, anyone interested, send an IM. but the reason for the post is a oft asked question: What tele pickups do I want. I want to keep the budget below the $100 USD for the set, so Lollars and Kinman's are out. I am leaning heavily towards some Bill Lawrence's, but would like to hear of others opinions and suggestions. Fire away!

• Members

I've done Lawrences, and actually still have 'em in a couple guitars. But IMO, they do a version of 'clean' that's a little more refined, and defined, than the EMGs, but still not terribly 'raw'.

At your price point, the first place I would look is GFS. I especially love their fatbody neck pickup, paired w/ either a 'repro 50s alnico' bridge or the 52 Professional series...

Archived