what's a good cheap strat?

mistersully

• Members

no i don't want to build one :)

currently stratless... i've been messing around on my 6 year old's squire mini strat and think i need to fill the void

i've owned expensive ones in the past (nash... suhr).. just looking for something that'll get it done

• Members

rondomusic.com. If I got one of their cheap Strats, I'd replace the whammy with a GFS "Made in Mexico" one and also change out the tuners. But Rondo Strats have jumbo frets and very good necks, they're a great platform to build on.

[EDIT] Currently, they don't seem to have any cheap Strats with rosewood fretboards. But if you like maple, they have a couple.

• Members

What's a good cheap strat? Answer: A Good cheap strat.

There are tens of thousands of them out there both Fender and Squiers.

Having the Fender name on it usually has a better resale over clones selling for the same price too.

Plus there is the psychological difference playing a clone vs the real thing. Some can get past that and some don't. Even though the clone may be a better value, its also a matter of vanity when you perform. A generic isn't seen by other musicians the same way as a major manufacturers guitar is. Half the time they cant even be convinced in a blind A/B comparison.

I own many guitars and have built many too. I got over the name brand status symbol syndrome a long time ago, but its not something many other musicians have. Gear recognition can be a big motivator or a source of mojo for them. If I do pull out one of my generics I may have to rip it a little harder to get past the stereotypical typecasting projected by other players and show them its the man in back of the instrument that makes the music, not the instrument itself.

• Members

You don't say what your "cheap" price point is, but I own a G&L Tribute (their Asian-made line) "Legacy" which is their straight-up strat copy guitar. Really nice fit & finish for a "cheap Asian" guitar, and big bonus, they're equipped with US-made G&L pickups and quality electronics. So there's no need to run out and buy 'upgraded' parts. Wonderful guitar, I paid $300 used for it at GC.

If ~ $300 is too much, then there's plenty of Squiers out there in and around $100.

• Members

I've had a matching Pacifica neck and body at home for about 6 years now. I've never bothered doing anything with it however. I did buy a new vibrato for it but wound up using it on another build.

I'm not impressed with the neck. Too chunky and cheezy for my tastes. I'd also have to make my own pickguard. I bought a piece of 4 layer laminate for that job, but again, I'm just not inspired enough to put that one back together.

I have one of the bottom line SSH Ibanez Strats too. It was a total basket case. The body was beat to crap and all wrapped up in duct tape. My buddy found it being thrown out so he gave it to me. The case was OK but again I haven't been inspired to put it back in shape.

When I add up the cost of some new hardware and refinishing them, I'm looking at $50 ~ $100 each in spare parts to get them in good condition. They just aren't worth the money to be bothered with them and since I already have some similar low end builds I'll likely sell them on EBay at some point.

• Members

+1 on Pacifica.

Never played the Squier CV, but lots of people think it;s great.

If you want really cheap, a lot of poeple seem to like the Monoprice California Classis, it's currently $70 shipped! http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...s1AhoCFI3w_wcB

I have their LP copy ("Route 66", a bolt on neck though) which which I got $100 and it is surprisingly playable, I keep saying I'll upgrade it, but never get to it because it's fine as it is.

• Members

Those G&L tributes are "inexpensive" but nothing seems "cheap" about them. I've got a trib Comanche I love to death (which ain't all that far away). G&L tributes should be flying off shelves, they are so HQ for the money

• Members

+1 for G&L tribute series. I picked up a Legacy as part of a package deal. I didn't end up keeping it, as I didn't need another Strat, but played it quite a bit in the time I had it. It sounded and played better than any Squier I've ever picked up. I was very surprised to see it was made in Indonesia. I picked up a Tribute Fallout not too long ago based on my experience with that guitar and have been impressed with it as well. I figured I'd have to replace the pickups straight away, but that wasn't the case at all. Some of the best deals going in the realm of inexpensive guitars, IMO.

• Members
You don't say what your "cheap" price point is, but I own a G&L Tribute (their Asian-made line) "Legacy" which is their straight-up strat copy guitar. Really nice fit & finish for a "cheap Asian" guitar, and big bonus, they're equipped with US-made G&L pickups and quality electronics. So there's no need to run out and buy 'upgraded' parts. Wonderful guitar, I paid $300 used for it at GC.

If ~ $300 is too much, then there's plenty of Squiers out there in and around $100.

my main strat for years was a G&L tribute legacy premium (korean made)... cool guitar... heavy as hell though... i still have a korean tribute asat classic that isn't going anywhere

i'll be waiting a bit for a strat now.... i bought a jazzmaster yesterday lol

• Members

To be uncharacteristically "HCEG", I'd stay a "good cheap strat" begins and ends with the American Specials.

Thinking of my own experience, I'd say the only MIM I bought that impressed me with its tone is my Daphne Blue '50s Classic Stratocaster.

Below that Fender Standard level, I also own a MIJ 60's Foto Flame, MIM JV Strat, MIM Deluxe Players Strat and the Squier 60th Anniversary Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster. And while I find those guitars to have some of their own redeeming characteristics that make them fun to play, I don't view them as necessarily being a good representation of what I think a Strat should be able to do as far as tone and quality components.

One caveat that I'd throw out, is that I haven't tried the '60s Classic Player Stratocaster. With their Custom Shop '69 p'ups, wider radius FB, alder body and affordable price tag, I have a bit of GAS-lust for that model. The Roadworns also sound a bit better than most MIMs, but at $900 for a scratched/dinged body with a raw feeling neck, I'd eliminate that option when you can get an American Special for one more Benjamin. With a 15% off deal, $850 will get someone a good Strat at an affordable price that would hold its own for years to come.

For off brands, I'd say I'm very impressed with my Godin Session

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0163-1.jpg

The trem and bridge are very good quality and work well and the HB has coil split and it sounds very good and blends well with the middle p'up whether it's in full or split modes. But the one quality that stands out about it is that it has a lot of depth to its tone while still having plenty of strat style vibe. I got a heckuva deal on that piece from Amazon ($310) but even at their more common pricing at around $500, I think they are a better value than the lower end Fender products. But I'm a gear whore and I love the various voices of guitars, whether cheap or pricey, I mean, I'll find a way to EQ, amp and drive them in a way to find their own niche, so I see merit in way too many guitars, but if I were just wanting one "good cheap strat" I'd stick with an American Special. I also have an American Lt Ed Sandblasted Strat which I also think is a great sounding/playing guitar. It uses Am. Std pickups instead of the Texas Specials, but I'm impressed that the Sandblasted Strat has a good resonant ash body, and "ash" often scares me a bit on less expensive Strats. And that's just because I'm too familiar with a series of "light ash" strats that Fender did quite some time ago that were merely "light" in color but were to heavy and dense with a more "off the top of the guitar" tone to them. That Sandblasted Strat is a lively piece of wood.

But whatever you get, may it just be cool to you for your style.

• Members

i love my CIJ 68 reissue strat, i wouldn't buy mexican and my MIA std strat sucks compared to the CIJ, i didn't like a G&L i tried once in a store

all in all its a tough call, what are you willing to spent? are you looking for a guitar that sounds like a strat or do you want a strat shaped guitar?

• Members

Has anybody tried the ESP Strats? I played one back in the early 80's that nailed the neck on a classic 60's Strat. Haven't tried any since however.

Whatever you get make sure the neck fits your hand like a glove. You have so many different neck shapes out there. Many can be fantastic for one player and a total handicap for another because it doesn't fit their hand well.

Best advice, go down to the music shop and try some out and narrow the possibilities down. I used to be able to walk down a row of guitars on a rack, grip the neck while its still hanging there and immediately know if its worth pulling off the rack. Your hand can make out if the neck is a little thicker or thinner but a small hand on a boat neck isn't the way to go, nor is a pencil neck if you have big hands.

Doesn't matter how much others rave about and instrument. Many rave about Size 10 shoes because they are the most popular size too. Doesn't mean you'll have the same size hand as everyone else. Find your fit first, then shop for price. It will make a world of difference later when you're being held back by a bad fit.

• Members

In 1998 they put out a few good one's, today yahama imo they sound and play like shi- pickup are overly bright (different pots?)

Cheap fender's you'll wear the frets out in no time. I learned a while ago (cry once and be done with it.) Suhr make some good stuff SS frets, under 2 grand. Godin has some budget stuff that's great Plus ! there up there with all the good maple.

• Moderators
Has anybody tried the ESP Strats? I played one back in the early 80's that nailed the neck on a classic 60's Strat. Haven't tried any since however.

Whatever you get make sure the neck fits your hand like a glove. You have so many different neck shapes out there. Many can be fantastic for one player and a total handicap for another because it doesn't fit their hand well.

Best advice, go down to the music shop and try some out and narrow the possibilities down. I used to be able to walk down a row of guitars on a rack, grip the neck while its still hanging there and immediately know if its worth pulling off the rack. Your hand can make out if the neck is a little thicker or thinner but a small hand on a boat neck isn't the way to go, nor is a pencil neck if you have big hands.

Doesn't matter how much others rave about and instrument. Many rave about Size 10 shoes because they are the most popular size too. Doesn't mean you'll have the same size hand as everyone else. Find your fit first, then shop for price. It will make a world of difference later when you're being held back by a bad fit.

ESP Strats are awesome....their economy cousins the LTD do need some work to make them as good as they should be.

Did you know Calllaham based their Strat bridges on an ESP design, who figured out about the fulcrum point long before they did

• Members

Thanks. I also have an American Series HSS Strat, but I bonded with that Godin much more quickly. Only recently did I pull out the American HSS and have a good day with it. I also love the way the finish on that Godin looks a bit like tanned belt leather.

Archived