Stratenfurter

1001gear

Stratenfurter  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Stratenfurter

• Members

I voted other. I like the spank of a clean Strat so my choice would be Mark Knopfler (contemporary), but Hank Marvin for his seminal impact on Strat players with his band the Shadows. It was Hank Marvin that inspired the Beatles to get Strats.

• Members

At 1001 gear: yeah, the amp helps but it may also be the guitars. The original strats that the band used were like Fender copies with a real funky headstock.

At Onelife: Undoubtedly true, even the band name was derivative of the Crickets (Beatles). But Marvin took Holly's rhythm thing to a new level with the slap back echo and the twangy single line riffs. In comparison, I thought a lot of the Buddy Holly stuff was a little primitive.

I voted for Beck, strictly for the longevity... but it's too close to call between him and Jimi IMHO. Jimi was the far bigger innovator, but Jeff managed to stay alive and keep playing. Rogers, Marvin, Guy, Holly, Clapton, Knopfler, Johnson, Blackmore and SRV (among others) are all worthy of honorable mentions IMHO.

• Members

^^^^ It's interesting that you mention both Beck and Hendrix.

The way I see it, there are three quantum leaps in the history of the beloved stratocater. The first was the design and we can credit Leo Fender and company for that. It was designed for the music of the time and the whammy bar was there with the intention of getting some pedal steel effects.

Then along came Hendrix and said this is what else you can do with it - this is what it sounds like with lots of overdrive and this is what happens when you light it on fire etc. Although there were many innovators since Hendrix, I think they built on what he did. I would even put EVH in the Hendrix era.

Jeff Beck, IMO, has actually taken it to a new quantum level. His approach to the instrument is unique and exclusive to the strat. He takes advantage of the whammy and control layout to the point where the sounds are almost vocal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived