Vibrato for a jazz guitar

Freeman Keller

• Members

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I am currently building an ES-335 clone for a local jazz player. One of the things that he has specified is a vibrato and I'm looking at the various options. The 335 is a thin "semi-hollow" body - it has a wooden block inside that goes all the way to the end and it has a curved top with a recurved edge like most archtops or a Les Paul. Right now it looks like my options are the classic Bigsby B7 or B70 or this Gibson model

https://www.allparts.com/TP-3680-001-Long-Gibson-Style-Nickel-Vibrato-Tailpiece_p_4255.html

I know how the Bigsby works but not the Gibson - does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any other options - it needs to either mount on the end or possibly using the stop tailpiece studs (if I use an end mount I won't drill the top for studs). I'll use a roller bridge with whatever we decide.

• Members

For what it's worth, I added one of the GuitarFetish trem's and roller bridges to an Epi Dot. It's not the most beautiful trem, and I had to enlarge the mounting holes on the bridge, but overall I was very happy with how it worked out. It had no problem returning to pitch, even with a stock nut.

This particular unit required two screws into the top to mount. Since this was a Dot, that was no big deal.

If your using other people's money, I'd suggest the Bigsby route. Just my opinion.

ebebcc22561835721f5e8e9fc5080499.thumb.jpg.f5e469887b8cd65a502d53d515effa86.jpg

• Members

Bigsby, pure and simple. He's a jazz player, he wants a Bigsby.

I've played the Gibson Vibrato on an old Melody Maker. It's a bent piece of metal, with an attachment for strings.

The third choice is a Stetsbar. No hole drilled trem system, that if the buyer later decides to go to a traditional tailpiece/bridge, can do so with no issues.

https://www.stetsbar.com/

• Members

+1 for the bigsby, not sure which version, but there are possibilities where you need no additional or different holes, compared to the normal tailpieces, so i suggest to go this route so it always can be reversed without any ugly holes left over

i'm happy without havin a bigsby on mine

• Members

Thanks everyone. I've shared this thread (and the one about pickups) with my customer, he is pretty impressed. Les Trem is really interesting - I might just get one to experiment with, but it looks to be a hassle getting one in gold, so we're going to go with the classic Bigsby. My customer went down to the local music store, played a few jazz boxes with Bigsbys and said he could be happy with that. Still looking at bridge options, will let you know in the build thread.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate the input.

• Members

I bought a Bigsby Clone recently on EBay for an incredibly low price. I haven't gotten around to installing it on a guitar yet but I can easily see its built very well. Even has ball bearings on the arm shafts like the original so I expect it should last.

Archived