Thinking of hitting this.....

hellion_213

• Members

Not sure why, I typically don't like LPs or arch-tops, or blue, But...I'm thinking of hitting this. What are the pros/cons with Xavier? I'm not too concerned with the electronics, just build quality. Ive bought parts from GF with Zero issues, so I'm assuming they're pretty good. Opinions? Thanks!

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-XV555-Double-Locking-Tremolo-Carved-Top-LP-Ocean-Blue-Flamed-Maple_p_12683.html

• Members

I've looked closely at everything that site has and all of its is made from low grade generic parts from china.

If you're going to buy from China, skip the middle man whose robbing you and buy straight from their factories.

Go here and dig around and you'll find anything you want in that price range. Just be careful to be sure the shipping is included.

I've bought a couple form the Grote Factory and they were very well built. They only needed some fret buffing and a good setup. I saved at least half the cost buying it wholesale that way. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160715135946&SearchText=Guitars

I think you can do a Whole lot better buying elsewhere, especially if you buy a good used instrument and have it set up good.

You can buy a really decent Epiphone or Squire for that price and have a better grade of wood, hardware, and pickups.

• Members

The candy red Tele caught my eye. Alder or Swamp ash - much difference? As far as the LPs, I don't care for book matched tops. Black or Gold are the only painted options though. Also whats up with the fixed cosmetic options?

• Members

No sir, it's not. I Really dig the Jeff Hanneman Sig LP, But, I know me, and I never cared for arch-tops, and Love Floyd's, so, while I want to try another one, I just really hate to drop a grand on one. this one looks good, but I'm a little Leary of cheap Chinese crap. But, if it's built half-decent, I can upgrade sub-par electronics.

• Members

Yeah, probably, on the used end, though I'd most likely have to retro on a Floyd, though Floyd has that built-in top mount now. The last one I retro'd on, I had a time getting the measurements to come out correctly after installing the locking nut, plus. Instead of routing the nut slot out, effectively reducing the #1 fret spacing, do you think it better to build up, on the headstock side? Something I've often wondered.....

• Members
If I were to take a walk down that street' date=' I'd go Agile/Rondo ten times out of ten vs. Xaviere. [/quote']

Yep, check out the AL-3200 series. Neck Thru.

You'll have to contact them to find out when the next batch with Floyds will be in. As I see none on the site right now.

I do believe they are using real Floyds these days on the Agiles.

another thought is a used Fernandes Ravelle Elite or Deluxe with Floyd Rose.

Also, maybe a Burny (fernandes) RLC with Floyd. (traditional LP shape)

Keep an eye of Ebay or Reverb.

• Members

I owned (and sold) one of the xaviere thin hollwbodies (similar to the 950 or 570... single cutaway, thin body, fully hollow, w/ p90s) it was a well-built guitar, no flaws or problems. I intended to put a bigsby on it, but eventually realized that wasn't going to happen, and it wasn't getting played, and I had a gretsch, so I sold it. The craigslist buyer actually sent me a note a week or so later telling me how happy he was with the guitar.

I still have a 900 (basically their es-335) - I really like that guitar, again, no fit or finish issues, no playability issues, etc. I may swap the pickups, but more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. I've had and played a Gibson dot-neck RI, a samick, an epiphone studio, and this xaviere. The epiphone studio was NOT a good guitar, but this xaviere is pretty dang good.

• Members

I dislike locking nuts and zero nuts. I have a zero fret on my Steinberger and it make noise bending strings on the lower frets because the string is free to move side to side on the zero fret. I've had other older guitars with them as well and most don't work out for me.

I like having more clearance under the wound strings so there's less fret buzz. A zero fret makes the strings all the same height at that end which means you have to adjust the string height at the other end higher to avoid buzz. This creates its own set of problems with height vs tension vs intonation. If you have the nut get gradually higher on the thicker strings, you can have the bridge set lower and have less sharp strings above the 12th fret.

I hate locking nuts too. Besides being a PITA to change strings they really aren't necessary if you know how to install strings properly, cut and lubricate a regular nut. I'm not a fan of Floyds in general for that matter. Too much metal destroys wood tone and theres very little difference in tone between one guitar using a Floyd and another. They al get that same generic metallic tone with all that metal.

I had a Fender version of the Floyds on my old strat. As soon as the fine tuners wore out I pulled it off and put a stock bridge and dumped the licking nut. The guitar sound as good as any other strat now.

Archived