Pickups for a jazz guitar

Freeman Keller

• Members

I am currently building a semi hollow body (ES-335 clone) for a local jazz player. I'm approaching the point where I need to order some hardware and electronics and would like suggestions on pickups. The guitar will have humbuckers and here is what the owner says about the sound he is seeking

"I want pickups that permit as throaty a jazz sound as possible. (My Ibanez hollow body L5 clone has twin humbuckers and i like that Wes Montgomery/Benson sound"

I would appreciate any suggestions - Koiwoi really likes Lindy Fralin pickups, I intend to write to him and ask for recommendations, however right now the table is wide open. Two things that would help are if they come with gold covers (I really don't like the naked zebra look) and if they have quick disconnects (335 wiring is a bit of a hassle, if they don't have disconnects I'll add them)

• Members
(335 wiring is a bit of a hassle' date=' if they don't have disconnects I'll add them)[/quote']

That is a bit of an understatement.

I have an ES137 and an old "pencil neck" ES335. On both guitars, the treble pickup cavity opens up into the control cavity so, with a bit of care and planning, the work can be done outside the guitar and everything slid into place.

• Members

There should be some old Gibson T tops on sale on Ebay reverb Craiglist ect . Those pickups are low output and clean they would be my best guess for a jazz with humbuckers. ( although original PAF would be better they are to much $$$)

• Members
I'm really enjoying the Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe' date=' fingerboard mount. [/quote']

I use a floating K.A. mini-humbucker (Slimbucker) on my Jazzbox.

I'm satisfied w/it. Very warm, fits my style. Here are his body-mounted lines.

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_humbuckers.html

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_p90_family.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I don't have direct experience with the Benedetto A6 but I generally find Seymouur Duncan pickups perform as the manufacturer claims they do.

Need to decide on something and move forward. SD is sort of recommending the Benedetto A6 and PAF combination. Since I'll put quick disconnects on them it would be easy to switch between neck and bridge and to change one or both if we don't like them.

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice - I don't think we would go wrong with any of them. Customer thinks that if he likes the A6 he'll put one of the floating Benedetto's in his jazz archtop.

• Members

Need to decide on something and move forward. SD is sort of recommending the Benedetto A6 and PAF combination. Since I'll put quick disconnects on them it would be easy to switch between neck and bridge and to change one or both if we don't like them.

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice - I don't think we would go wrong with any of them. Customer thinks that if he likes the A6 he'll put one of the floating Benedetto's in his jazz archtop.

FWIK Kent Armstrong makes the Benedetto pickups - or he used to. They have their "own" tone which some like, most don't.

I had Kent make me a 7-string bucker for my jazz-box and it is a very sweet pickup. Plus he's a great guy to deal with.

• Members

I put Kent Armstrong humbuckers in my Ibanez 335 years ago and they were really bland with no top end. They only stayed in for a month and then I sold them. They weren't his high end models though and he gets lots of kudos (which is why I bought mine), so I suspect my experience is not typical. Plus I've been spoilt by Fralin... ;)

Archived