Tell me about your favorite chorus pedal...

steve_man

• Members

I've had a Boss Super Chorus for quite a while. Worked fine for a long time, but is now starting to glitch out a bit. No idea how old it is, as I traded for it years ago. So, thinking about replacing it. I've been on a bit of a TC Electronics kick lately, so the Corona Chorus is in the running, for sure. However, I'd like to know about any others that you guys have tried out. I should say that I have owned Digitech and Electroharmonix pedals in the past... not really interested in those.

71903034dace624518601245cc8ef0d6.thumb.png.0ddb10461d936206744a57673b21fce9.png

My old CE-2 will always be a sentimental favorite, although I think my Diamond Chorus sounds a wee bit better. I was also impressed with the various chorus algorithms in the Source Audio One series modulation pedals, and they have the added benefit of being able to load chorus, flange or phaser algorithms, so even if you get the Gemini Chorus, you can use it as a Mercury Flanger or a Luna Phaser too.

• Members

I've owned a few, but the best was the Visual Sound H20, which was my first pedal. I traded it a couple of years ago because I was going through a phase where I got rid of my effects. It wasn't good with distortion/gain, but it was the best clean tone ever. Warm and fat.

Now, I only use chorus while recording, so I have my Digitech RP-150 set up with a CH-2 channel and a Digitech chorus channel. The Boss sound is best suited for clean, but the Digitech chorus sounds great with gain. I've never owned a chorus pedal that could do both well.

• Members
Always wondered about those. Had a Jekyll & Hyde for a long time' date=' and it was a great pedal. Wish I still had it.[/quote']

I don't think they make them anymore, either. I had one of the older models shaped like a home plate and with only three controls for the chorus. It was just an awesome, awesome pedal, but the chorus wasn't anything like Andy Summers or Kurt Cobain. It was fairly unique.

• Members

I have two flavors of chorus on my board - one is from an old DOD GFX 64 and the other from a Rocktron Harmonic Flange. These are pedals that didn't break the bank but are quiet and offer good articulate tones to my ear. If I want to pull out the heavy artillery I also own a Damage Control Timeline which sounds amazing but doesn't get used much because it doesn't fit on the board and requires its' own power supply.

• Members

I just bought a Joyo Classic Chorus show up in the mail two days ago. I haven't even had a chance to try it yet.

Its supposed to sound similar to Boss. It was only $25 so I figured what the heck. Its built well and has true bypass (which the boss doesn't).

I been using a Marshall chorus pedal on my live rig for about 12 years now. I bought it used and I'm not sure if it was ever working 100%. With the settings cranked up you can get a little phasing whistle in the background when no sound is going through it. Someone may have returned it for that reason and I bought it used cheap.

I do use chorus with a very mild setting and slow rotation. Its more for adding ambiance/depth then it is for creating swirl. I don't use it much if I'm playing in a room with allot of reflection the natural reverb provides the same thing.

I do like chorus before echo, (which I also use lightly) on leads because it adds some three dimensional movement in back of the notes. Its a substitute for actually standing on a stage and moving around and hearing the sound coming back to you from the walls in a room change as you move around.

In any case I was getting a little board with the Marshall Chorus and maybe this one will do something it doesn't. Marshall makes excellent pedals and their circuitry is fairly complex compared to many other pedals. Simpler isn't always better but we'll see.

I don't think they make them anymore, either. I had one of the older models shaped like a home plate and with only three controls for the chorus. It was just an awesome, awesome pedal, but the chorus wasn't anything like Andy Summers or Kurt Cobain. It was fairly unique.

Actually Visual Sound is still in business, and they still make the same basic lineup of pedals (now in different, rectangular housings), but they've changed the company name to Truetone.

http://truetone.com/

:wave:

• Members

You never for get your first. My first chorus pedal was 'Clone Theory' by electro-harmonix.

I own some great digital effects but there was something charming about that old bucket brigade device.

I had the whole Electro Harmonix lineup electric mistress, small stone , clone theory, memory man and the Big Muff Pi.

• Members

I recently bought an MXR Black Label Chorus pedal. I gotta say it was worth every penny. It sounds like Zak had the guys at MXR scoop out the mids if possible. It has a bite to it and not airy like most chorus pedals. And at 99 bucks it was a nice addition to my pedal board.

Archived