No announcement yet.

Birth Year Guitars

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Year Guitars

Ratae's posts got me thinking about birth year guitars. Who has or is looking for a guitar your same age?
    I don't want t spend the money for an original but did try out an Epi Les Paul 56 re-issue. Nice but I just didn't bond with it.

Hmm For me it couldn't be a Strat then :-/

Comment

• gardo
      gardo commented
      Editing a comment
      It could always be acoustic

Closest I have, is a 64 or so Beatle bass by Domino. Really don't seeing the point in having one the same age as myself.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

i'm a '74 and i have a '75 lp custom, from gibson support it could also be an '74 but as it does not have the 20th anniversary inlay its mostlikely a '75

i always played with the thought of buying a '74 strat, but as i am totally happy with my CIJ 69 reissue strat, and 70s strats are hit and miss and they want rediculous money for them i stayed away from them.

i'm not paying $5000 or more for a mediocre instrument. for this money i could get a much much nicer other guitar

Comment

Finding something decent from 57 would be tough to find and expensive. Its even tough to find something that dates back to when I first started playing in 65. I did settle with a 40th Anniversary Les Paul that has the feel of a vintage guitar. I think the oldest is my 70's Rickenbacker. I have no problems with any age guitar so long as its well made and sounds good.

Comment

I have a 1971 Les Paul Custom, and I have a 1971 Fender Princeton Reverb.

I was born in 1971.
          James Shannon Bussey & The Drunk Thirsty Cowboys
          www.jamesshannonbussey.com
          www.facebook.com/BusseyCountry
          www.twitter.com/clhndluke

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post
            Hmm For me it couldn't be a Strat then :-/
            There are all kinds of wonderful oddities, so called student guitars like the LPJ that can be had from the 50 and 60s
            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• gardo
              gardo commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe he's so old that Strats weren't even made

• Chordite
              Chordite commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Gardo, that is what I was implying

Anything I'd like in my year would be worth too much (67). I would love a strat from that era but its not happening.
            MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

• gardo
              gardo commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a mid 60's Gretsch Clipper that was great.. It was a single pickup student model hollow body and I would still have it but my former girlfriend convinced me that I didn't need so many guitars.
              I see them on ebay for a around $1000 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gretsch+clipper

• billybilly
              billybilly commented
              Editing a comment
              stop feeding my GAS, lol. Nice suggestions.

• speakerjones
              speakerjones commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a '67 Guild Starfire IV that I picked up for $1100. It's missing its pick guard and has some honest play wear, but plays and sounds great. Deals like this are probably easier to stumble upon on in the states though.

In my birth year (1945) guitar production was pretty much on hold because of something called world war two. I couldn't afford a '45 Martin anyway.

My great grandson was born a few weeks ago - I'm going to build him a birth year guitar - 2016.

Comment

• billybilly
              billybilly commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome!

• badpenguin
              badpenguin commented
              Editing a comment
              High cool points there Mr freeman!

• DeepEnd
              DeepEnd commented
              Editing a comment
              Seriously cool. I'm sure he'll treasure it.

Like WRGKMC and billybilly, a birth year ('53 in my case) guitar for me would be rare and expensive. If I did buy one it would be a case queen because I'd be afraid to play it.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

hmmm from the responses here, there are only old people hanging around here, and i'm the youngest one,
              really nobody below 40 is here? this forum has an age problem

Comment

• gardo
                gardo commented
                Editing a comment
                I may get old but I refuse to grow up

• MarvelUndies
                MarvelUndies commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty sure I'm the youngest person here (born 1992, 24 years old), if that makes you feel any better?

• t_e_l_e
                t_e_l_e commented
                Editing a comment
                who let this young guy in?

I'm so old I think I'd have to get a lute.....
              I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
              Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

I was born in '62, so there's tons of reissues that line up with my birth year.

I have the birth year guitar to beat all birth year guitars. I've mentioned it a few times before, but if I told you about it here in this thread you wouldn't believe me. Not only the year, but the serial number matches my birthday...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• gardo
                gardo commented
                Editing a comment
                You Win

• t_e_l_e
                t_e_l_e commented
                Editing a comment
                pics or it didn't happen... also pics from your id of course

PS: have i told you i'm in IT and speciallize in security and identity theft?

• Phil O'Keefe
                Phil O'Keefe commented
                Editing a comment
                Since you work IT and specialize in security and identity theft, you'll probably understand why I'd rather not post a pic of one of my most valuable guitars, much less one of my driver's license.

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
              I was born in '62, so there's tons of reissues that line up with my birth year.

I have the birth year guitar to beat all birth year guitars. I've mentioned it a few times before, but if I told you about it here in this thread you wouldn't believe me. Not only the year, but the serial number matches my birthday...

Another 1962 model here

I have a 62 Tele RI that's kind of like my go too electric.

It was MIJ and I think I bought it in 1985.

My wife was born in 58 and her parents should have bought her a flame topper LP when she was born. I told her she would have been in a good spot with that purchase.

Oh yeah i have a 62 Strat RI too, but I don't play it very often. Screwed up the back leaving a leather strap on it for too long. Otherwise it's perfect.
              Last edited by Mikeo; 04-27-2016, 11:36 AM.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

When I was in my late twenties, a friend of mine showed up at my door with a 1954 Stratocaster that he had just purchased for $1600. He informed me that it had been advertised in the newspaper a few months earlier for $600. I saw the ad in the paper (it did not specify the year) but I had two strats at the time so I didn't bother to investigate.

I, along with SRV, was born with the Stratocaster in 1954 and I don't believe it's a coincidence that I have been playing them since Hendrix was around.

The problem is those '50s strats that are as old as me are prohibitively expensive now.

As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Working...
                X