NGD - Gibson Les Paul

Midlife Rocker

• Members

Couldn't pass on this one. Good friend since high school (35 years) gave me a deal on this guitar. He bought it new. It's a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop Limited Edition. He upgraded the POTS to 500K, too. My first guitar with mini-humbuckers, too!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31727282[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31727283[/ATTACH]

• Members
BTW' date=' how's the neck on it? What type of profile does it have - is it the 50s rounded shape, or the SlimTaper neck profile?[/quote']

Not sure if it's a 50's shape, but it's not slim. It's much fatter than my 2003 LP Classic. It's pretty "chunky"...if that's a word.

• Members

Like Phil I had one of those I bought in 1974 slightly used for $350. They had a rather wide flatter profiled neck which tapered up to be rounder the farther up the neck you went. The Mini's nail the Allman Brothers sound without pedals plugged into a good tube amp. They sound great with just about any drive pedal too. I prefer the mini's over P90's and full sized in Paul's. I'm thinking about changing the P100's in my anniversary model so I can get back to that sound. The 100's come close but The minis have better rock tones. Good luck

:music017:

• Members

I bought my one and only Les Paul Standard back in 1982.

It's kind of weird as it has a maple neck and all.

Great sounding guitar. That's kitty KC who passed away in May of 2014. He loved my guitars. My LP has a few small dents in it, it got early on. The neck is sweet, not to fat, not to think. I paid like 500 and something for it, which was a nice heavy discount from a local shop. I miss that shop too. It was ordered especially for me and is Nashville built.

I like Midlife's LP too. It came in a very nice case, like my ES 335. My LP is in a hard plastic Gibson case.

As much as I like LP's, I like to play SG's even more, and the ES 335 is the bomb of the Gibson lineup imo.

Not bad for 35 years old I guess.

One minute you're a teen rocker and before ya know it you an old timer. It goes by fast, so enjoy every guitar and sandwich.

fetch?filedataid=107434

fetch?filedataid=107435

Nice score. You can't go wrong with a gold Les Paul loaded with P90's. :thu:

Those are actually mini-humbuckers. :)

Do you guys know the story about the mini humbuckers in the Deluxe model Les Pauls? Apparently when they started making them they had a bunch of left-over bodies from the earlier runs, but they were all cut for P90s, and by the late 60s, everyone wanted humbucker-equipped models, so someone at Gibson came up with the idea of mounting smaller Epiphone mini humbuckers (which they also had a ton of sitting around) into P90-sized cases, and the Deluxe was born.

Archived